6L50 (a6) max power concern

Transmission, Clutch, Torque Converter, Rear End, Axles, Driveshafts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:13 pm
According to every spec sheet I found on our auto tranny...
apparently we are over max on HP and have only 54 more ib ft tq to add before hitting max. So is adding fi to our cars asking for trouble? Is 6L80 swap possible? Has anyone thought about this? or am I reading the data wrong?
I attached screenshot of max power specs for 6L50 (you can Google 6L80)
The 6L80 offers same features as 6L50 but can hold more power different ratios...please if anyone has more knowlwdge I am interested.
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-11-09-19-58-38.png
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:31 am
Many people have put more HP and TQ thru the trans than the rated numbers you listed. They have not had any issues that I am aware of by doing so either. Everything has a limit and some sort of safety built into it. IF you plan to go F1 and beat the heck out of the car, then I might be concerned.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:23 am
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364940

Found that thread, apparently guy cooked his tranny after awhile. I think the 6L90 out the ZL1 would be optimal option for an a6 boosted. I don't know if the engine tranny will match up though.
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:33 am
He cooked his trans becasue he was pushing 700 HP. That is a HUGE difference from what you are talking about getting out of your V6 and trans.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:13 pm
Good point, seems I just need to upgrade what I have to accommodate the power I want
http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/drive ... sion-tech/
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:06 pm
I have a twin turbo LLT with 35,000 miles on it. Not a problem so far. I think the key is to keep a small amount of torque management in the program. The transmission is surprisingly strong. Avoid braking with power for launch for sure. When tuning the TCU in these transmissions, have the tuner increase line pressures along with leaving a bit of torque management in the program. Also, very important to put an auxiliary transmission oil cooler on the car to keep the oil temps cooler than stock. This greatly effects tranny life.

The issue with installing any other tranny in the Camaro V-6 is adapting the bell housings, which could be done, but then the issue of the ECU talking to the TCM. I thought of this 2 years ago but scrapped the idea due to uncertainties. The computer issues are very difficult to overcome and is the reason I gave up.

Get yourself a high stall converter, up the rear gear ratio, get a transmission tune and you will be surprised at the performance without transmission issues. These transmissions should and have handled up to 550 crank HP and beyond.
Running 12s
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:03 pm
Correct. We have put may in the 500-550 flywheel range on the streets for years with no failures. We also have the stall converter needed for the 5L60E in stock...no better ET improvement for the $!

rxproducts@aol.com

We also have a brand new CNC ported TB in stock for a bargain if anyone needs.

Return to Transmission and Drivetrain