rear end explanation for 2010 Camaro V6 3.6 L

Transmission, Clutch, Torque Converter, Rear End, Axles, Driveshafts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:40 am
Reviving this post as I’m currently researching 3.73 for my 2013 LS M6. 3.27 feels too tall in every gear, but it’s 1st gear I’m most concerned with. 3.45 seems like it might be too shallow of a jump, but I don’t want to make 1st gear usless if 3.73 is too much. I’d appreciate feedback from anyone experienced in this upgrade.
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:42 am
Welcome to BowtieV6. Many have made the jump to gears higher than the 3.45. Some have even put in the 3.91 gears. Everything I have read tells me the 3.73 is a good gear and you will like it.

Good thread, with lots of information.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95142
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:03 am
Good, 3.73-1, that’s what I want to hear. I’ve got an inquiry into Randy’s Ring & Pinion. Local shop warned me that after market ring & pinions might be noisy even when set up right. Their recommendation was for OEM GM & this post indicates my M6 1LS will accept the 1LE ring & pinion. Local dealer is no help, telephone research seems to depend on who you talk to. American Axle & Manufacturing claims to provide OEM equivalent parts. Randy’s recommends Yukon. These are the issues I’m looking into.
Thanks for the response. This thread is most valuable to anyone looking into a 1LS gear swap.
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:29 am
Glad it helped. Let us know if you need anything further. A few of us are on daily to read anything new. Keep us posted on how the swap goes, and what you end up with too. Good Luck.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:36 pm
MY 3.73 ratio project comes down to gear selection. Local Chevy dealer says 3.73 is not available from GM. The Chevy parts guy says a ‘13 LS M6 uses same ring & pinion as the LS3 but GM only offers 3.45 or 3.91 ratios for $800. Yukon has the 3.73 ring & pinion & install kit for a mere $1200 according to the shop I spoke to. I’ll look over the order & see if ring & pinion part number is YG GM3.73-IRS. Randy’s web site has the ring & pinion plus install kit for just under $1000, I guess CA sales tax & shipping jack it up to $1.2K. Installation was quoted at $400...!!! A bargain, so I won’t be doing it myself. Still gotta figure out what the software load will cost. :2cents: :shrug:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:41 pm
If I did it correctly, attached is the tag on my 2013 LS M6 differential. So far everything seems to be going smoothly installing the 3.73 ring & pinion. Not getting any help from my local dealership on what it takes to correct the speedometer for the new gear ratio.
Attachments
E9F68DD9-8B6E-4A8C-8472-6517B7ACDD05.jpeg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:37 pm
At the risk of rehashing what forum members already know, my project continues with the 3.73 ratio ring & pinion expected to be completed today. California rules require that Hypertech Max Power 2.0 be replaced by the unit with part number 2100. There’s a Hypertech forum topic that recommends a vendor, that vendor told me Max Power 2100 is only for the V8. Hypertech says it’s exactly the same unit as the 49 state Max Power 2.0 intended for V6 Camaros that fall within the equipment standards for a 2013 LS, and some other models, so I just ordered one from Summit Racing to tune the speedometer on my ‘13 LS gear change to 3.73 ratio. $349 with free shipping. Posting this here for the sake of putting it in a topic where it may help other Cali owners. Also posted this in the Hypertech topic for speedometer tune.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:13 pm
The 3.73 rearend gear installation is complete. Nothing groundbreaking here, I installed the HyperTech 2.0 tune today, ‘AFTER’ the 3.73 ring & pinion was installed and road tested tested. I’m happy with the gear swap, plenty of added torque for my ‘13 M6 gained from the 3.73-1 ratio alone.
I corrected the speedometer with a HyperTech Max Energy 2.0, 2100. In addition, there’s a clear feel of added power from the premium fuel tune that I installed & tested separately from the gear installation. Not many tuning options with the Cali 2100 version I had to use. The performance results are good enough for me with an otherwise stock motor set up. Feels like the car should have been built & tuned this way from the start.
I like this rear end gear swap on my Gen 5 V6 with manual 6 transmission, Yukon Gears & 3.73 ratio for spirited driving on rural mountain roads like the West Slope Sierras offer. As shown in my posts, the same ring & pinion size and part #’s for the SS V8 worked fine in my V6 M6 car. The speedometer adjustment was easy with the HyperTech 2.0. Freeway RPM is slightly elevated to 2150 at 70mph. I haven’t topped out in 1st gear yet, but it’s strong, useable & quick to a comfortable shift point around 5000 rpm. I don’t drag race, no need for a numerically higher ratio. The entire project cost me 18 & a half green fun tickets.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:37 pm
Some might want to know that the Yukon 3.73 ring & pinion do emit more hum than stock ring & pinion on my M6. Not so much on acceleration or deceleration as at a steady speed. Hey, it’s a sports car !! If you like spirited touring you’ll probably not care, but if you’ve invested a few grand in your entertainment system, well, consider it. The installation was done by a pro, the gear print was a good as any I’ve ever done myself, no apparent binding. I’m pretty sure it’s the gear cut specifications. They’re set up right & will probably resist failure, just a bit of whine. For me, the performance gain outweighs the noise. 245/55-18 tires, 1st gear shift point went from approximately 40mph at 7000rpm to about 35mph at 7000rpm (speedo corrected to 3.73) So you have time to get your text sent prior to hitting the 7K shift point. I know you OGs know all this stuff, so thankfully to most, I’ll call this done unless I have a failure or important headache. My project info might help some other newbie fool, like me, contemplating a gear change.
Previous

Return to Transmission and Drivetrain