Timing chain solution?

Heads, Cams, Valvetrain, Bottom End

Moderator: mrray13

Mini-Post Whore
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:30 pm
Bee Sting wrote:I have "Engines for life " it's a dealer promo , If you keep doing all your oil changes there the engine is fully covered as long as you own the car . So i'm still Mobil 1

Nice, wish my dealer would have offered that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:20 am
I'm like Demon Hunter, I have over 32K miles on a daily driver. I bought mine late 2009 so im not sure which chain set up i have but i'm not having any issues. I Have been using Mobil 1 since i bought mine.
2LT/RS SIM A6/Sunroof: JBA Shorties with Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust and Injen CAI
Mini-Post Whore
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:42 pm
Mankind wrote:I'm like Demon Hunter, I have over 32K miles on a daily driver. I bought mine late 2009 so im not sure which chain set up i have but i'm not having any issues. I Have been using Mobil 1 since i bought mine.

I bought mine same time, October of 2009. We have the old chains, rtcat posted in another thread that he found it was july 2010 that they started using the better chains.
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:11 pm
Correct it was July of 2010. Best thing to help protect from any chain issues is to keep an eye on your oil level and change it every 5000 miles or sooner. Not when the DIC tells you to. Use that as a reference only. I have noticed for me the oil life drops 1% for every 100 miles. I was changing at 6000 miles but will now fall back to around 4500 miles.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Running 11s
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:50 pm
I'm going to check with my dealer. Would have been nice to have them upgrade the chains when they had the front cover off for the oil pan gasket. Mine was bought late 09 as well.
Image1LT/RS RY; Trifecta tuned, Injen long tube CAI, ARH long tubes/cats,custom catback with Flowmaster Super 44s, IAT relocate and RXtreme catch can/breather
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:53 am
It would have been nice, but they aren't going to do it just because.

I was told that as long as the oil gets changed regularly you should not see an issue. The problem comes in when the oil gets dirty or low. People are lazy when it comes to checking the oil level or even changing it. GM installed the oil life monitor to help those who are in that lazy category. I personally would not go the full life of the oil like the DIC shows.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Running 11s
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:22 pm
If I'm running full syn, I will go closer to what the oil life system says. If I'm running anything else, I go 50-60% of the oil life monitor. Regardless, I try not to go more then 80-85%. That will change as track time gets here, lol!
Image1LT/RS RY; Trifecta tuned, Injen long tube CAI, ARH long tubes/cats,custom catback with Flowmaster Super 44s, IAT relocate and RXtreme catch can/breather
Running 13s
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 pm
Demon Hunter wrote:
Bee Sting wrote:I have "Engines for life " it's a dealer promo , If you keep doing all your oil changes there the engine is fully covered as long as you own the car . So i'm still Mobil 1

Nice, wish my dealer would have offered that.

Ditty that's a great deal. Wonder how they feel about a tune being involved though :notme:
Running 11s
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:38 pm
I've got lifetime powertrain through my dealer as well. They know there is a tune on the car, so far no issues. Of course, I can go back to stock, and at least in our world, the dealer cannot detect a previous tune. So, if it's serious enough, the factory stuff will go back in, if need be, lol.
Running 13s
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:18 pm
mrray13 wrote:I've got lifetime powertrain through my dealer as well. They know there is a tune on the car, so far no issues. Of course, I can go back to stock, and at least in our world, the dealer cannot detect a previous tune. So, if it's serious enough, the factory stuff will go back in, if need be, lol.

:rotfl: Yeah I've never reverted back to the stock tune when I've taken it in. However I've only had it in for oil changes and some repair work on the paint. I don't think they'd check the tune but who knows.
PreviousNext

Return to 2010-2011 LLT 3.6l Internal Engine Tech