What factors directly correlate to additional Horsepower?

Bolt-Ons, Intakes, Exhaust, Ignition, Pulleys

Moderator: mrray13

Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:21 pm
MIAquablue wrote:A very informative thread for a newbie like me and thanks to Demon for your recommendations. I’m in the process of finalizing selections and prices for a cat-back exhaust system and CAI. I’m not looking for a star on the track, just a more noticeable, refined sound with perhaps an MPG or two gain. Of course, with better sound, comes a heavier foot. So much for improved fuel economy. :lol:

More true than you can imagine. Since getting mine back on the road I have been burning fuel......... :thumbsup: ......what gas milage.......... :banghead:
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Laying rubber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:43 pm
For a serious intake and exhaust sound fix, I'll take a short run in the '67 LeMans V8 with full duals and headers. I'm fortunate if this car can meet the mileage of a Hummer H2 and I'd go broke if driven every day. But it sounds so sweet! :drive:

But back to the subject at hand, I'll start with the basics on the Camaro this year. Who knows where that will lead to in the future?
2LT/RS/M6/ABM with blk stripes/GM splash guards/CAI intake/Magnaflow cat-back/Elite tunnel brace/Hurst shifter/RX Catch Can
Gearhead
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:55 pm
I've got BBK longtubes. Ceramic coated to help with the underhood temps here in central Texas. They were probably my biggest jump before I saw what Rod was doing with the nitrous.
The tune won't give much horsepower but it will bring everything in line with each other and make sure you aren't running lean or fat. For the manual(which is what I have) it made it a bit more responsive(got rid of that occasional little stumble) and it got rid of the CEL.
Our motors are extremely temp-sensitive. I've got a K&N Typhoon and the IAT relocation that does decent. The injen filter placement helps with pulling cooler air from down low so you don't have to do the IAT relocation, but most CAI's will give a decent gain. The V-ram, if it ever makes it to the masses, seems to be very promising(I think they saw 27hp, but I'd like to see a few dyno-graphs to analyze).
Catbacks and axle-backs, as noted, are mostly for sound as they won't produce much as far as power. Exhaust note is a personal preference and they've got a ton of sound clips around. Be advised that if you go with an exhaust and then a pair of headers you're exhaust note will change, sometimes a lot.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Tuned by Vince@Trifecta
Gearhead
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:07 pm
Does a tune increase mileage?
MODS:P13W Drl Bulbs,Drl wiring harness,Tinted windows, shark fin stripes, Sinister hood, Roto-Fab CAI, RX catchcan, MRT V2.0, Image Proud owner of Litho #195....TEAM LLT
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:37 am
RSokie wrote:Does a tune increase mileage?

it can help or hurt it depending on the tuner. Depends on if you are running lean or rich, and what timing you are running and such
Hi my name is Travis and I have an addiction, an addiction to anything and everything dealing with v6 camaros. :wave:

****T.O.P. SNIPER****
Just having fun
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:12 am
spyderbuddy wrote:what about Transmission Upgrades, programming.
oh btw great writeup demon, I know what i'll be doing first.

The 6 speed auto is pretty bulletproof. It's my understanding that the stick has a hard time hooking up at a launch, but that's because of the freedom of power in the stick, I'd imagine.

I've owned autos and a heavily modified 5 speed before. I can tell you that if you've got a stick, it's night and day once you've thrown a centerforce clutch and lighter flywheel in there. On that note, I also added a Quaife differential to that car, and it was hands down the best modification I've ever done to a car. EVER. In every way. Admittedly, that was a different animal than our Camaro's though. I was really pushing the envelope on a '99 Cougar that time, but those trans mods made for some amazing power transfers from the Duratec engine.

If you've got a stick Camaro, wait until you need a clutch and then upgrade that and the flywheel. If you've got an auto, just let it ride, man. Unless you've got the money for Quaife products....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:00 pm
IMJ wrote:
spyderbuddy wrote:what about Transmission Upgrades, programming.
oh btw great writeup demon, I know what i'll be doing first.

The 6 speed auto is pretty bulletproof. It's my understanding that the stick has a hard time hooking up at a launch, but that's because of the freedom of power in the stick, I'd imagine.

I've owned autos and a heavily modified 5 speed before. I can tell you that if you've got a stick, it's night and day once you've thrown a centerforce clutch and lighter flywheel in there. On that note, I also added a Quaife differential to that car, and it was hands down the best modification I've ever done to a car. EVER. In every way. Admittedly, that was a different animal than our Camaro's though. I was really pushing the envelope on a '99 Cougar that time, but those trans mods made for some amazing power transfers from the Duratec engine.

If you've got a stick Camaro, wait until you need a clutch and then upgrade that and the flywheel. If you've got an auto, just let it ride, man. Unless you've got the money for Quaife products....

Only current clutch upgrade is one that might fit coming from Australia. There's a dual-mass flywheel that has been described as allowing the clutch to slip to make it a smoother ride. I wish Centerforce would come out with one.
Tuned by Vince@Trifecta
Just having fun
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:58 am
usa1camaro1969 wrote:Only current clutch upgrade is one that might fit coming from Australia. There's a dual-mass flywheel that has been described as allowing the clutch to slip to make it a smoother ride. I wish Centerforce would come out with one.

I'd gamble they will once their market research shows that Camaro's are getting old enough to need them.... :thumbsup:
They R&D them for that time frame to grab the biggest market. Most people upgrade clutch and flywheel when the old ones need replacing, so Centerforce has always seemed to target for that with new product.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:37 am
IMJ wrote:
usa1camaro1969 wrote:Only current clutch upgrade is one that might fit coming from Australia. There's a dual-mass flywheel that has been described as allowing the clutch to slip to make it a smoother ride. I wish Centerforce would come out with one.

I'd gamble they will once their market research shows that Camaro's are getting old enough to need them.... :thumbsup:
They R&D them for that time frame to grab the biggest market. Most people upgrade clutch and flywheel when the old ones need replacing, so Centerforce has always seemed to target for that with new product.

So what your saying is it'll probably be at least another year....
Gearhead
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:48 pm
And in the meantime the slipping of the stock clutch will be expected. It may be a good thing. We'll find out soon enough.
And from what I've heard from RHD I think he said it will take Monster about 6-months to come up with a clutch and that's after they get a stock one(they were looking for a burnt up stock one from what he was saying to design from).
Tuned by Vince@Trifecta
PreviousNext

Return to 2010-2011 LLT 3.6l External Engine Tech