What factors directly correlate to additional Horsepower?

Bolt-Ons, Intakes, Exhaust, Ignition, Pulleys

Moderator: mrray13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:30 pm
As a new owner of the 2LT/RS, I have a whole lot to learn. So if you all dont mind to enlighten me, what additional parts would increase the horsepower on this puppy?
of the ones I could think of are as follows:
Exhaust kit
Air intake
Lighter parts
Intercooler
Turbo/Supercharger (out of my budget, unfortunately...)
Headers
Upgraded spark plugs
Exhanging the ROM chip for an aftermarket one(?)

If you could come up with any other ones that really give you that bang for the buck, please feel free to leave a comment. :drive:
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:34 pm
first off, welcome to the site :)

Your list is a good start. As for the spark plugs, those you can leave as is for now. Air intake, exhaust etc are the first mods most people do to these cars to get their cars breathing better and exhaust flow moving. The tuning can be done by getting a tune from vince at trifecta, he can sell you a cable or you can rent one from him to load the tune on. No need for swapping chips like the older cars.
Hi my name is Travis and I have an addiction, an addiction to anything and everything dealing with v6 camaros. :wave:

****T.O.P. SNIPER****
Mini-Post Whore
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:10 pm
adrenalin3 wrote:As a new owner of the 2LT/RS, I have a whole lot to learn. So if you all dont mind to enlighten me, what additional parts would increase the horsepower on this puppy?
of the ones I could think of are as follows:
Exhaust kit
Air intake
Lighter parts
Intercooler
Turbo/Supercharger (out of my budget, unfortunately...)
Headers
Upgraded spark plugs
Exhanging the ROM chip for an aftermarket one(?)

If you could come up with any other ones that really give you that bang for the buck, please feel free to leave a comment. :drive:

Your best bet for these cars, as far as Bolt-ons are concerned, are as follows:

*Cold Air Intake
*Headers
*Exhaust

Our Cars don't have a "Chip" they have an ECU. It can be tuned through Trifecta & I'd recommend that if you buy LT (Long Tube) headers. BBK, ARH, Stainless Works all offer Good LT headers that give you about the same performance gains. If you go with LT headers they will give you a CEL (Check Engine Light) that will require a tune to get rid of. If you go with Shorty Headers JBA and Doug Thorley offer really good affordable sets. Most people prefer the DT's over the JBA's due to the fact that they don't have the CEL problems the JBA's sometimes get due to how they mount to a stacker flange. The Shorty headers will get you a decent low end gain and nice exhaust note, but they due not give you the performance gains LT's do. A lot of people do go the shorty route though do to local emissions laws. You'll have to check yours. Some states don't allow you to relocate the Catalytic Converters, which installing LT's requires.

There are several CAI's out for our cars. The ones that perform the best are Injen, Roto-Fab and CAI Inc. I personally have the Injen long tube and love it. It has also performed the best on the Dyno and in real world testing. Some people don't care for it though due to it relocating the filter below the engine compartment behind the wheel well.

Exhaust is mostly a personal taste. I'd recommend checking out the exhaust sticky in this sub-forum to hear all the vids of the different exhaust combos. There isn't a whole lot of performance gain from doing an exhaust on it's own. You really only see the gains when you combine it with the CAI or headers or both. With that said, there isn't much of a performance gain between the Cat-back and Axle-backs out there. Some people have switched out to a larger 2.5" diameter pipe, but I personally really haven't read where there was a large performance gain by doing that. I'd assume that would be more beneficial if you were going FI (Forced Induction, I.E. Turbo, Supercharger). With all that said, this mod is mostly going to be for sound, you'll probably see a gain of somewhere around 3-5hp with an exhaust.

There is also a Catch Can (I recommend the RX can, you can contact Our sponsor Bat Car if you want to purchase it) there is a thread about it with all the information you'll ever need to know about this mod, but with our engines, I highly recommend it. It won't gain you horsepower per say, but the benefits of it out way any cost associated with purchasing and installing it. Here's the link to the thread about it: http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=125

That sums up the normal bolt-ons that most of us have. There are a few others though, SLP has a under drive pulley out that supposedly will gain you 5-6hp that we're all awaiting real results on, but as far as performance bolt-ons to gain HP that's about it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As far as FI is concerned there is only a few kits available and they're all turbo kits. STS has a single turbo kit available that's good for 350-400 rwhp. Two of our members have that kit installed (Z Madness & Comp 6) and there are several companies that are in the process of releaseing twin turbo setups for our cars. Our Sponsor Bat Car has a twin kit just about ready, site member GretchensGotGrowl has his twin kit installed and is pretty happy with it. RDP is also in the midst of developing one.

I wouldn't worry about lighter parts unless your trying to squeeze every last millisecond out of your quarter mile, in that case Seibon offers a bunch of Carbon fiber parts for our cars. I wouldn't worry about hoods though, unless you just want the looks or functional scoop, as even the carbon fiber hoods weigh about the same as our OEM (it came incredibly light already from the factory).

One of the better mods for performance as far as what you get for what you spend, is going to be gears. If you have a manual you can install any of the Richmond gear options for the SS. I'd recommend the 3.73's in that case. If you have the auto, unfortunately we are limited to just the 3.55's from Richmond, but you'll probably feel the gain from this mod more than any other as switching to those gears will give you the ruff equivalent of adding about 30ftlb of torque. There is a few threads with some more info on this in the transmission and drivetrain sub-forums. Here is the thread pertaining to the gears: http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=144

Hope this helps.
Laying rubber
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:43 pm
Nominated for sticky after that great summation of entry-level mods!
Mini-Post Whore
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:04 pm
Thank you, and that's a good Idea. I'll do that.
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:11 pm
GREAT job with the reply DEMON. Has to be the BEST write-up I have seen to date on what each item can and cannot do for us.

Just a piece of information about the weight. When I dropped the 25.5 lbs (each) suitcases called mufflers for my MRT's I saved 32 lbs on the back end of my Camaro.

Got my vote make it a sticky.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Running 11s
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:30 pm
That was very informative Demon and to the point :thumbsup:
Red Ryder 2011 2LT/ RS/ VR / Roto-Fab Cai / ARK DTS cat back exhaust / Defender Works Chrome door sills /RPI Stealth mud guards / DIY painted engine cover, and brake rotors / Suntek Window tint / RX catch can / Team LLT Badges. TEAM LLT

Laying rubber
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:41 pm
rtcat600man wrote:GREAT job with the reply DEMON. Has to be the BEST write-up I have seen to date on what each item can and cannot do for us.

Just a piece of information about the weight. When I dropped the 25.5 lbs (each) suitcases called mufflers for my MRT's I saved 32 lbs on the back end of my Camaro.

Got my vote make it a sticky.

And a whopping total of 5-6 lbs from stock manifolds to D/T shorties! But it all adds up.
2LTRS/ black/sliver stripes/A6/Injen long tube&IAT relocate/D/T shortie headers/Magnaflow resonated X pipe/Resonators delete/ MRT V2 Axelback/Hotchkis sport springs and Sways/Stillen splitter/ Heritage,Stillen grills,ducts/VMax Throttle Body
Gearhead
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:55 pm
what about Transmission Upgrades, programming.
oh btw great writeup demon, I know what i'll be doing first.
Mods to date:
Chevorlet door sills,Rear trunk blackout,Blacked out bowtie,
Vararam intake with Green Filter
Rx Catch cans
MBRP Exhaust Tips
Trifecta Tune
RX CNC Throttle Body
Side Gills
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:12 am
I dunno if anyone has dove into redoing the trans on these to beef them up yet or play with gearing. You can play with the trans settings with the trifecta tune though to help get the shifts to your liking :)
Hi my name is Travis and I have an addiction, an addiction to anything and everything dealing with v6 camaros. :wave:

****T.O.P. SNIPER****
Next

Return to 2010-2011 LLT 3.6l External Engine Tech