Modifying my air intake

Bolt-Ons, Intakes, Exhaust, Ignition, Pulleys

Moderator: mrray13

Gearhead
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:09 pm
Shortly after I bought my car in 2010, I installed the long tube Injen. Worked flawlessly for several years until I decided to clean the filter. It didn't seal right after that and during heavy rains, water would run down the tube into the filter, then foam up and choke the engine forcing it to stall. After that happened 3 times, I put the stock airbox back on. Since I'm tuned for the Injen, my car has been running rich (moreso than the LLT usually does). So I'm thinking about cutting the Injen tube so that the filter is near the stock location. Still have to look at it to make sure that would work - just had this idea pop into my head. I'd want to build a box around it to minimize engine heat. Anyone know of good material to use for a box and where to get it? I figured something as simple as 2 sides with weatherstriping on the top to seal to the hood.
Gordy

Injen CAI / VMax TB / SOLO Hi-flow res-cats & Mach X-LLT / Pedders Street I / SS Struts / Pfadt drop springs / Spohn Toe Rods & Trailing Arms

Black bow ties & trunk panel / Fogs / Footwell lighting front & rear / 35% Tint
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:07 pm
Did you ever think to buy a new filter? I ask because I replaced mine after 70K. I had cleaned my original one every 25K miles, then thought time for a new one.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Gearhead
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:39 am
Thought about it, but I'm pretty sure I over-tightened the clamp resulting in a warped tube. I don't think a new filter will seal properly either.
Gordy

Injen CAI / VMax TB / SOLO Hi-flow res-cats & Mach X-LLT / Pedders Street I / SS Struts / Pfadt drop springs / Spohn Toe Rods & Trailing Arms

Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:45 pm
Now I understand, how about silicon around the edge of the filter? Cleaning only needs to be done every 25K. So when it is time to come off and be cleaned, just cut the silicon and re-do it when putting it back on again.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Gearhead
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:44 pm
Thought about silicone too, but I'm worried I might not be able to get it all sealed up. That's why I've started considering cutting the tube and relocating the filter to the stock airbox location. Just to make sure it will fit and I can construct enough of a heat shield to minimize heat.
Gordy

Return to 2010-2011 LLT 3.6l External Engine Tech