2011 LLT 30,000 km - life left or get rid of it ?

Bolt-Ons, Intakes, Exhaust, Ignition, Pulleys

Moderator: mrray13

Just having fun
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:27 pm
Hi Guys, seeking your advice please

my 2011 LLT RS (100% stock) has 30,000km on it, i have only just woken up to the need for an Catch Can (RX is on it way), Im concerned that my motor may already have the dreaded carbon build up (despite the dealer de-coking it), and thus my engine life is shortened.

in addition, so far I've had the ongonig missfire codes when its in cold start up /choke mode (im convinced this is an ECM issue not a carbon build up issue, just dumps gobs of fuel into the cylinders), and the ongoing issues with rear end/LS Diff buzzing (recently the dealer changed out the fluid and replaced rear seals under a tech SB for this).

my question is, do I:

1) trade it now and get someting newer, im right to be concerned, its all down hill from here
2) add the RX catch can, and drive on, Im paranoid and worrying for no reason

thanks !
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:16 pm
boy tough decision there. It kind of depends on your patience with dealerships if you want to take it in multiple times until they pinpoint the issue with the misfire/fuel issue. If you don't want to wait and get that figured out then I would say go for an LFX camaro instead. The oil issue I don't think would give you too much grief, your mileage isn't crazy high on it. Most direct injected cars have issues with the oil and no catch cans, and there are plenty with over 100k on the original engine yet. I would get the catch can if you plan on keeping it though
Hi my name is Travis and I have an addiction, an addiction to anything and everything dealing with v6 camaros. :wave:

****T.O.P. SNIPER****
Just having fun
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:51 pm
Thanks, the RX Catch Can is on the way regardless.

If I do Trade it its going to be a V8 next time, maybe even back to a Mustang GT (am I allowed to admit that here ? )

Im somewhat disapointed in the GM quality control.

Its a big expense to Trade and upgrade though, Ill get $22,000 ish for the 2011 if i trade now vs $16,500 a year from now. No matter what im looking at an extra $20,000 to upgrade when all is said and done.
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:03 pm
good luck with whatever you decide, sure would like to see you stay with a Camaro thou.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Just having fun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:04 am
Thanks, I likely will stay with the Camaro,

We'll see how she behaves when I pull her out of winter storage in April.

Ill put the catch can on it and if Im getting little or no oil in it, i'll be satisfied that my valves are likely ok.

If, on the other hand, the catch can is getting a decent amount of oil, i may have to trade her in.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:35 am
I think you had a thread before on the fuel issue, but what has been done so far to try and remedy it? Did the dealer flash the pcm at all?
Hi my name is Travis and I have an addiction, an addiction to anything and everything dealing with v6 camaros. :wave:

****T.O.P. SNIPER****
Just having fun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:59 am
Hi Travis, you're correct on the other thread for my fule/missfire issue.

The dealer had the car for an entire week last fall, right before it went away for the winter.

They apparently re flashed the ECM (i asked them to do so)
They de-carboned the engine according to another TSB that calls out the missfire (though under different curcumstances) -- this TSB is actually due to the DI engine consuming oil not a fuel quantity issue
They added some fule system additive and cleaner according to the TSB previously mentioned above
They checked the fuel pressure and tested the fuel im using

at the same time they put the new spec Diff fluid in and changed the re axle seals (old ones not compatible with the new spec fluid)

when the car comes back out in April we'll see if its fixed or not.

my confidence is so low, i bought a OBD2 code reader to reset the missfire codes myself -- it seems to be only a once or twice a year issue when its cold out. Unfortunate that a new car needs an OBD2 code reader in the glove box as standard equipment isnt it.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:57 am
where do you live? I wonder if it is a closed/open loop issue where it is adding too much fuel when the engine is cold and not in closed loop mode until the o2 sensors heat up or something

****T.O.P. SNIPER****
Just having fun
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:17 pm
Im in Near North Ontario Canada,

how would I best instruct the dealer to look at such an "open/Closed loop" issue?

From your description, Id agree that its something like that, there a large pools of "Black funk" below each muffler/tailpipe when this happens, lots of unburnt fueld and carbon. It lasts anywhere form a few seconds to a 45 seconds, then the car smoothens out. the issue is, if it persists for more than a second or two the CEL gets tripped.
Just having fun
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:56 am
could it be the MAF sensor ? or would that cause the car to run like crap all the time ?
Next

Return to 2010-2011 LLT 3.6l External Engine Tech