Front splitter from Stillen 2010 Camaro V6 3.6L

Planning on doing a project and want to document it for the rest of us? Post it here!

Moderator: mrray13

Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:09 am
I ordered this front splitter from Stillen a couple weeks ago. I will post up some install photos closer to Mid-March or April.

IMG_6764.JPG

IMG_6766.JPG

IMG_6768.JPG

UPDATE:

Well it is mid-April and I have finally completed the install. Here are some photos from today. (Install write-up copied over from page 11.)

The photos that 67 GTO has on this thread and the ones I have explain most of it. I put mine up on my home made ramps and then blocked the splitter up in the air to align it the first time around.

Once I had the location well determined, I drilled the holes for the outer 2 braces. Since the splitter was in the air it was easy to reach with the drill.

Then the cold weather set in again and it was sit and wait for better weather.

Meanwhile I had the splitter in the basement and I stripped all the original tape and replaced with new 3M tape.

Last Saturday was go for it day. I left the Camaro on the ground and blocked up what you saw in the photos. I placed a bolt in the two holes to hold it in place while I got everything ready.

I wiped down the exterior with rubbing alcohol a couple times to help get a good clean surface.

I then removed the tape from the 3 center braces and placed the splitter in place one outside hole first, placing the bolt thru the hole for alignment, then to the other side. Once the center 3 sections were taped in place and located with two bolts it was time to remove the tape on one side and lock it into place. Then ditto for the other side. I held everything in place with the clamps you see and stack ups of bricks, boards and cardboard.

post a.JPG

post c.JPG

post d.JPG

I then tried to fasten the outside holes with the bolts that 67 GTO recommended. I bought stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers to prevent rusting. One problem, when you drop one inside the fascia there is no recovery for it with a magnet as I found out the hard way. Stainless steel is not magnetic. I gave up on the nut and bolt idea and went with some larger screws as seen in the photo. I went ahead and screwed the outside two holes.

The screw in the middle is what comes with the kit. The bolt on the left is what I had planned to use, but since I had a tough time getting the nut and bolt to work out, there is not much room to get your hand inside the lower area to complete this process, I switched to the screw on the right.

post e.JPG

Next I went around the edge at both ends with black silicone. (I still need to touch up a couple spots for the braces but I will do that this weekend).

I let the Camaro sit overnight with everything clamped and blocked.

Next day I removed the clamps and blocks and drove it up onto my ramps to change the oil and drill the hole for the center screw. One more large screw fastened and project complete.

That was the install and good news. Now for the bad news, if I had to do it all over again. I would have removed a little material off the front splitter two outside braces. This would have allowed the splitter to slid back under the Camaro a little more, allowing it to wrap around the front fascia area better. If I never tell anyone, then it probably would never be noticed unless you know what you are looking for. I didn’t realize this until I was done that it was off by a 1 or 2 mm.

Hope this helps.

4.JPG

6.JPG

9.JPG
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:10 am
Sunny day photos have arrived.
Attachments
sun 1.JPG
sun 2.JPG
sun 3.JPG
sun 4.JPG
sun 5.JPG
sun 6.JPG
sun 8.JPG
sun 9.JPG
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Mini-Post Whore
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:47 pm
So I take it your not going to paint it to match?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:19 pm
Demon Hunter wrote:So I take it your not going to paint it to match?

No I was leaning towards leaving it black. What's your thoughts? I figured I would put it up there first and see how that looks.
BowtieV6 Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:21 pm
Black and IOM go great together. I would leave it black first, see how you like it, and change it if you need to. My vote is black though. :)
Sold :(
Running 13s
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:30 pm
SDCamaro10 wrote:Black and IOM go great together. I would leave it black first, see how you like it, and change it if you need to. My vote is black though. :)

:agreed:
You can always paint it IOM if you don't like it. I'm thinking about getting this for mine. Since my Camaro is black is this going to look funny since it isn't a glossy black (like my paint)?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:49 pm
SDCamaro10 wrote:Black and IOM go great together. I would leave it black first, see how you like it, and change it if you need to. My vote is black though. :)

My thoughts exactly. I have seen a few lower spoilers on IOM with black ones. It does look good. I also have the black stripes. The grill is similar black so I should be good to go with black.

We'll see.
BowtieV6 Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:57 pm
BaylorCamaro wrote:

You can always paint it IOM if you don't like it. I'm thinking about getting this for mine. Since my Camaro is black is this going to look funny since it isn't a glossy black (like my paint)?

matte black stripes would make it look good. ;)
Sold :(
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:00 pm
SDCamaro10 wrote:
BaylorCamaro wrote:

matte black stripes would make it look good. ;)

Thanks for the vote.
Mini-Post Whore
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:01 pm
I like the look of it black. I think it looks really clean painted to match though...
Next

Return to How-To: Article