Roto-Fab radiator cover 2010 Camaro V6 3.6L

Planning on doing a project and want to document it for the rest of us? Post it here!

Moderator: mrray13

Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:32 am
Roto-fab wrote:I'm glad to see you got it all worked out. Aside from the catch can, the cover appears to match up with the Injen really well. I will be saving your pic of the catch can notch so we can do the mod in-house for those that specify. Thanks for taking the time to make the mods "play" together and for sharing your results with us!

In the end it all worked out perfectly. Yes, the cover works well with the INJEN. No issues there what so ever. (I will have new pictures within the next week, currently working on painting the INJEN set-up right now. New thread will be up later showing that project and the start of the paint.)

Mike, I took the picture with the scale to show you what I cut away. I would even look to just remove the flange in this area all together.

No problem on getting the mods to play nice with each other. Glad I could do it. I really like how it looks. Hopefully my next few under hood cosmetic mods helps complete the package with the radiator cover.

Thanks again MIKE for the opportunity to help your TEAM out with this one.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Gearhead
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:15 pm
[
This last photo shows the notch in the radiator cover to clear the catch can. This notch has a piece of foam trim that I added to the raw edge. This foam is provided on the front of the radiator cover. So I took a small piece from the front to add along this newly added notch.
IMG_6847.JPG

You can always (very carefully) use a heat gun to soften those rough edges after you have cut them.
I recommend trying on a scrap piece first... but it shrinks up those jagged edges and makes the grey cutt area actually darken back up closer to the orginal color. Warning!! Be patient, it will pay off. On textured pieces to much heat will smooth out the texture and theres no going back.
2010 1LT/RS Summit White w/IOM - GMPP Exh - Injen CAI SR - Heritage Grill
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:14 pm
Leavitt71 wrote:[
This last photo shows the notch in the radiator cover to clear the catch can. This notch has a piece of foam trim that I added to the raw edge. This foam is provided on the front of the radiator cover. So I took a small piece from the front to add along this newly added notch.
IMG_6847.JPG

You can always (very carefully) use a heat gun to soften those rough edges after you have cut them.
I recommend trying on a scrap piece first... but it shrinks up those jagged edges and makes the grey cutt area actually darken back up closer to the orginal color. Warning!! Be patient, it will pay off. On textured pieces to much heat will smooth out the texture and theres no going back.

Heat gun to soften the aluminum? I used my dremmal tool to round off the edges. I used the foam to get a soft edge to fit over the top of the catch can.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Gold Level Sponsor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:08 am
rtcat600man wrote:
Leavitt71 wrote:[
IMG_6847.JPG

Heat gun to soften the aluminum? I used my dremmal tool to round off the edges. I used the foam to get a soft edge to fit over the top of the catch can.

I'm assuming he thinks the radiator cover is made out of plastic, not aluminum. You would need a pretty serious heat gun to soften you radiator cover!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:38 am
Roto-fab wrote:I'm assuming he thinks the radiator cover is made out of plastic, not aluminum. You would need a pretty serious heat gun to soften you radiator cover!

:werd:
Gearhead
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:40 am
:hail: lmao, this is true... see what assuming gets you. You did notch your engine cover to make room for the catch can.
Either way looks great. Love the mod posts, keep em coming.
2010 1LT/RS Summit White w/IOM - GMPP Exh - Injen CAI SR - Heritage Grill
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:09 am
Leavitt71 wrote::hail: lmao, this is true... see what assuming gets you. You did notch your engine cover to make room for the catch can.
Either way looks great. Love the mod posts, keep em coming.

:rofl: ....your right I did notch the engine cover and it is plastic. I was able to dremmal those edges too. Thanks for looking and posting the comments. I plan to have more posts soon. Just waiting on the items.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:32 am
:bump: to get our sponsor more exposure.......... :thumbsup:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:54 pm
Time for a :bump: for some new interest in doing this mod.
Previous

Return to How-To: Article