Roto-Fab radiator cover 2010 Camaro V6 3.6L

Planning on doing a project and want to document it for the rest of us? Post it here!

Moderator: mrray13

Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:46 am
I have been looking at this mod for sometime now. Ever since Roto-Fab introduced it. One of my concerns was weather it would work with the INJEN or not. Mike at Roto-Fab has contacted me and we worked out a nice proposition for me to try one out and see if this indeed will work with the INJEN. I have agreed to install it and take pictures and post my findings soon after I get the cover. I am going with the textured black one. I have some ideas for both it and my other under hood appearance mods.

Thanks, Mike pictures and updates to follow within the next week.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:47 am
This is most of the letter I wrote to Mike at Roto-Fab last night.( 2-15-2011) Broken up with the photos from the install. If anyone should have any questions please feel free to comment or send me a PM.

Hello Mike,

I got the cover today. Looks really nice. Before I post anything to the forum, I thought I should send you a message. Couple things. First it fits with the INJEN, so no issues there. Looks really good. If it was only that easy thou. The cover did not want to fit around the coolant over flow tube. The tube was off position a little. The cover was fine but the tube itself was probably off. I thought I would try and move the tube thinking it would wiggle a little. BIG MISTAKE. The tube broke at the base. Cracked. Not wanting to remove half the front end to get this tube and tank out, my brain went into gear and since I was headed to the hardware store for some other items, I figured a package of JB weld was in order. That problem was solved.

This is Mike's respons with regard to the coolant tube. "Hello. That's the first I've heard of the coolant neck not working out. That stinks. I will have to look to see where the mounts are and why it would do that to you. The V8 covers have the same coolant neck and location which has never caused a problem. Maybe it's like the W/W reservoir...out of a few thousand intakes we've had 2 which our air filter contacted that neck. It turns out the mounting bolts have the play to kick the neck back quite a bit. However, the assembly process must call for tightening it in the forward position."

I have no issue with the tube. It certainly was not the fault of the cover or Roto-Fab. Problem is fixed.

IMG_6841.JPG

Next problem, I also have the RX oil catch can. This is where the real problem for fitting is at. The same bolt that holds the bracket for the catch can is the same bolt that holds the bracket for the rad. Cover. This bolt is not long enough for both items. Thus the real reason to go to the hardware store. Problem is my local ACE did not carry an 8 mm 2.00 pitch. Very unusual bolt. Back home again. Decided to cut the bracket that came with the rad cover since I didn’t feel it needs both bolts to hold the bracket in place for the cover. The bracket is plenty stiff and wasn’t going anywhere with the single bolt. You might want to include a longer bolt for those who say they are installing this cover with a catch can.

IMG_6824.JPG

Next issue, the catch can sits to high for the rad cover. So either relocate the catch can or notch the cover. Looked easier to notch the cover. Out comes the drummel tool. Notch added. Rad cover now fits decent with the catch can.

IMG_6836.JPG

IMG_6833.JPG

Next problem now with the catch can pushed rearward to clear the rad cover at its best location it now interferes with the engine cover. It never ends. Not all mods play nice together.

OK, bottom line. After a few hours in the garage and some time spent with modifying everything involved. I now have it all worked out. I have some photos and different thoughts on how to write this one up so everyone knows what they are up against for both the INJEN and the catch can.

Thank – you,
Mike

IMG_6842.JPG

BIG THANK - YOU to MIKE & ROTO-FAB........ :hail: ............ for giving me this opportunity to install the radiator cover to show how it fits with the INJEN and RX oil catch can..... :thumbsup:
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Mini-Post Whore
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:31 pm
Nice!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:05 pm
The remainder of photos from the write - up

Here is a close up of the notch along the side of the cover to help the lines for the catch can.

IMG_6844.JPG

Here is a close up of the front of the cover to help clear the can since I had to move the can away from the radiator cover. However, this notch is not necessary as I found out after I was done with everything last night.

IMG_6848.JPG

This last photo shows the notch in the radiator cover to clear the catch can. This notch has a piece of foam trim that I added to the raw edge. This foam is provided on the front of the radiator cover. So I took a small piece from the front to add along this newly added notch.

IMG_6847.JPG

thanks again to Roto-Fab and Mike for the great looking product.
Running 13s
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:18 pm
looks great and nice write up :thumbsup: good info to know as how theses mods will all fit together...
RX PERFORMANCE SUPERCHARGED/ARK DTS CATBACK/EIBACH LOWERING SPRINGS AND SWAY BARS/VMAX TB/WIDENED RS REAR WHEELS TO 10.5 WITH PIRELLI 305/35/20 TIRES/BBK LT HEADERS AND HIGH FLOW CATS/BLACK ICE-OLATER/RX PORTED IM
Running 13s
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:58 am
@rtcat, great job, looks good! some things just like to be a pain but with a little patience and ingenuity they will work out! :clap:
ohio-speed.com is your #1 place for high performance parts & show car accessories
Mini-Post Whore
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:37 pm
Sweet. Hope I win the give-away now....
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:51 pm
hmm, interesting how the dominos fall. lol. good to know, thanks for the writeup and diving into it head first :)
Hi my name is Travis and I have an addiction, an addiction to anything and everything dealing with v6 camaros. :wave:

****T.O.P. SNIPER****
Gearhead
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:00 pm
Looks great, gonna have to add that to my list of mods.
2010 1LT/RS Summit White w/IOM - GMPP Exh - Injen CAI SR - Heritage Grill
Gold Level Sponsor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:56 am
I'm glad to see you got it all worked out. Aside from the catch can, the cover appears to match up with the Injen really well. I will be saving your pic of the catch can notch so we can do the mod in-house for those that specify. Thanks for taking the time to make the mods "play" together and for sharing your results with us!
Next

Return to How-To: Article