Painting tail light bezels 2010 Camaro 3.6 L V6

Planning on doing a project and want to document it for the rest of us? Post it here!

Moderator: mrray13

Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:05 pm
Time for a :bump: for some new interest in doing this mod.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:57 pm
don't remember if I posted this on my mod thread but found this one so I thought I would post this pic here I just used a can of black fusion spray paint and a few coats of clear to help protect it the first time I Painted them I used black duplicolor but the paint chipped off as I was re-installing them which is why I tried using the krylon fusion since its specifically for plastics so far it seems to be working well
Attachments
HPIM0616.JPG
HPIM0615.JPG
Gearhead
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:56 pm
This is one mod that stands out and when you see other Camaro's you'll be so glad you pulled the trigger and painted them.

I was really worried about painting mine as I wanted IOM. I bought 2 12oz cans from AutomotiveTouchUp.com along with some Adhesion Promoter and Clear Coat.

Taking them off was pretty simple. I looked at videos and other posts. I have small hands so it was a little easier for me to loosen the clips but I still thought I was going to break the bottom clips. Took me 40 minutes to get the first one fully off. Then once I knew how to do it popped the next three off in a minute.

Overall I love how mine turned out. Saved money over buying the prepainted ones and made me feel special since I did it. Sorry for the reddish photos, at the time I was excited and used my phone instead of a camera. But they do match my car and have a nice metallic shine. *I also painted my license plate frame, and trunk cover plates, 2 more cans of IOM paint so 4 total (3 coats each).

Before

And After

And here are the close ups

Laying rubber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:07 am
Looks like you did a great job, it's just not my taste. Having some contrast really gives some depth to the overall look IMHO.

When everything is just painted body color, it reminds me of one of those cheap Maaco paint jobs where they don't bother doing any taping or disassembly.

Of course, this is just my 2¢. Keep in mind, I'm the doofus that spray painted my rims black!

On a side note, every time I see that rear diffuser I feel like putting a large, unnecessary charge on my credit card!
Last edited by TankMorph on Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
2011 IOM 1LT M6
BBK CAI
Solo Mach X-LLT Catback
VMax CNC Throttle Body
VMax Intake Black Ice isolator
Eibach Pro Springs/Sway Bars
Stock SS Midnight Silver 20s w/PZeros
G2 caliper paint
Gearhead
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:11 am
No worries, my paint scheme is Orange/White so the chrome kind of clashed a little too much otherwise black was my next choice.
Laying rubber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:13 am
Yeah, I was thinking about that. It definitely works with your paint scheme you have going!
2011 IOM 1LT M6
BBK CAI
Solo Mach X-LLT Catback
VMax CNC Throttle Body
G2 caliper paint
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:06 am
Looks good guys. You have to love doing things yourself such a satisfaction rush to know you made another change that not many have done or will do.

I do not like the chrome look on the IOM either. This is why mine got painted black. The only chrome for me is the edge of the bowtie, exhaust tips, and the Camaro on the side.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Laying rubber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:52 pm
I'm gonna try the Plasti-dip trick on the side C A M A R O emblems this weekend.

You can just do a rough masking job around the emblem to keep the overspray to a minimum, then let it dry and peel off the excess. You don't need to score or use a razor or anything. The coating will just peel off around the emblems only. That will leave me with chrome trim only on the back end. Exhaust, tail light bezels, C A M A R O emblem, and license plate frame.

I let you know how it turns out.

I MIGHT get the tail lights and side markers tinted soon, too. My buddy got his whole Colorado truck blacked out, looks nice. It's a commercial product similar to the VHT NightShades, but it comes out a lot glossier and more even. I don't have the details on it, but I'll find out.

2011 IOM 1LT M6
BBK CAI
Solo Mach X-LLT Catback
VMax CNC Throttle Body
G2 caliper paint
Laying rubber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:15 pm
I used Plastic dip on my 10 speed... Came out awesome. Nice thing is if it messes up... just peel it off and try again... If you go to the web site you can see all the colors they have.
Laying rubber
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:32 am
OHIO-SPEED wrote:looks great! like rt said you do get a great feeling of knowing that you did this (modding) yourself :rolrun: @tankmorph i have a different style rear diffuser that i designed for sale on my website you might be interested in http://www.ohio-speed.com

I've seen your diffuser. I like it, but I can't justify spending that kind of dough for 4 plastic triangles.
2011 IOM 1LT M6
BBK CAI
Solo Mach X-LLT Catback
VMax CNC Throttle Body
G2 caliper paint
PreviousNext

Return to How-To: Article