VMAx Throttle Body install for 2010 Camaro V6 3.6L

Planning on doing a project and want to document it for the rest of us? Post it here!

Moderator: mrray13

Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:31 am
I ordered my throttle body on 8/18/2011.

I recieved notice at my door that Fed Ex tried to deliver the TB on 9/9/2011. I had to sign the notice and wait for the next day 2nd attempt delivery.

On 9/10/2011 the TB was delivered. However, I now needed to wait until the next morning to do the testing and install.

Here is the test results and photo to go along with the install.

At 7:14 am I drove out of the garage to go make some 0 – 60 runs. It took about 10 mintues to get to my location which allowed the Camaro a chance to warm up.

a.JPG

I took this photo to show the tire PSI were higher than I would use at the drag strip and give me a baseline of what I used on the street this day.

b.JPG

Here is a photo of my testing tool in action.

e.JPG

I made 3 runs. (results below). I did all my passes the same. Complete stop and foot on the brake. Simply slide the foot off the brake and hammer the throttle for a full 65 mph pass to get a run on the clock.

After the 3rd run it was head home time and change out the TB.

This is what the new throttle body looks like. VMAx scribes their name on the back side along with the number of the TB that has been cut. I have # 22.

c.JPG

This photo shows the front side and what has been removed.

d.JPG

I loosened up the strap for the INJEN and slide this back off the throat of the TB.

The TB is held on by 4 bolts (10 mm) I used an open end wrench and socket to remove the bolts. They are not on tight.

Slide the TB out and laid it on the towel. Removed the electrical clip.

g.JPG

This photo shows the two TB side by side.

f.JPG

Then reversed the process. Remember the bolts are not on tight. I think it was reported to be under 15 INCH lbs. not foot lbs.

10 minutes later I was heading back out for more testing.
h.JPG

I drove about 15 miles then back to the testing ground. After making 3 more passes. I have the following to report for times.

test.JPG
test.JPG (17.46 KiB) Viewed 1781 times

What I did notice is that my as my tires PSI was increasing after the first pass and was higher during the second round of testing. This does not help with traction. The nannies were kicking in early and controlling wheel spin. I turned off the traction control on one pass just for testing purposes, all that did was put the tires up in smoke instantly.

So did it help, doesn’t appear to have made a change in the 0 - 60 times. Do I feel a change. Hard to say. I never really felt the “dead spot” in the first place.

Am I happy, based on what everyone else has said about how they feel, I am not sad that I have made this change.

It probably needs more time to settle in and for the computer to make adjustments.

I will be at the track again soon. With the last couple mods I made I am hoping to set a new personal best. Which case this would tell me all is good and worth it.

Mileage when changed.

i.JPG
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Running 11s
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:56 am
Well I guess the computer doesn't lie . Looks like your slower now than before the TB but not much . Still with the posted gains of 5 HP & 7 tq you would have thought better numbers than what you got.
I didn't do a before an after test myself and no I never felt the " Dead " spot either , but I do feel a difference in the off the line take off. I can't prove it but it just feels.stronger.
Just my 2 cents..
TEAM LLT
Gearhead
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:29 am
Nice detailed write up. My testing showed about the same, no significant 0-60mph difference before and after the TB install. I also don't know of this dead spot.

I do think that when punching the throttle from a roll, the responce seems chrisper.

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/Hypertech programmer/VMax Isolater/Mace Ported IM & Plenum Spacer

Laying rubber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:01 pm
Nice writeup Mike, and good to remind all that these bolts are not tight and not to go overboard on them, I just did hand tight with the rachet and a bit more then that to make it snug. I agree on the inital testing as to feel with everyone, it does have more off the line snap and the bottom end does feel stronger, but I never did the testing I wrote about as much as with the TB so I am not a good judge on improvements in the other areas. The dead spot if there, again I never checked before to see, and frankly where I live it is really hard to go out and be able to test that way, to much traffic all over the place, and police. It did improve the feel and crispness in D,S and M that is apparent. in the 2-3000 range in 2nd and 3rd there is no dead spot and it pulls nicely in that range and snaps your head back, but again from the TB or all else I have done? I guess maybe the results better on a stock engine, as probably with any other single mod over stock situation, although other folks saying how they noticed all the advertised improvements and they are modded like us also so who knows? Maybe we need the 60-100 miles thing to let it breakin?

Overall I like it and it did what my ported TB did on my LS1 so all is what I expected.

I do have a question for everyone. Did you guys notice that the car sounds a bit louder now? Mine did after the resonator delete as expected but this "seems" louder, freeway also. Maybe just my ears.
2LTRS/ black/sliver stripes/A6/Injen long tube&IAT relocate/D/T shortie headers/Magnaflow resonated X pipe/Resonators delete/ MRT V2 Axelback/Hotchkis sport springs and Sways/Stillen splitter/ Heritage,Stillen grills,ducts/VMax Throttle Body
Running 11s
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:58 pm
I'v noticed mine a little louder at Idle and cold start up. It seems that when i'm on the on ramps it wants to go at around 3,000 rpms not for sure if it's the TB or the colder nights and mornings. And even though i'v been punching it I have been geting better gas mileage. Just seems everything is a bit smoother now.
MRT V1/ Injen CAI/ VMax TB/ RX Catch Can/ TrifectaImage

Laying rubber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:53 pm
Wingsfan wrote:I'v noticed mine a little louder at Idle and cold start up. It seems that when i'm on the on ramps it wants to go at around 3,000 rpms not for sure if it's the TB or the colder nights and mornings. And even though i'v been punching it I have been geting better gas mileage. Just seems everything is a bit smoother now.

Mine seems the same at idle and cold start, maybe a tad more at idle which is fine. It does seem just more smooth and a bit more responsive overall, of course we were out to the beach today to get in a good walk and just to hear the nice deep burbley growl the whole system gives the car, cant get enough of that! :thumbsup:
2LTRS/ black/sliver stripes/A6/Injen long tube&IAT relocate/D/T shortie headers/Magnaflow resonated X pipe/Resonators delete/ MRT V2 Axelback/Hotchkis sport springs and Sways/Stillen splitter/ Heritage,Stillen grills,ducts/VMax Throttle Body
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:45 pm
Bee Sting wrote:Well I guess the computer doesn't lie . Looks like your slower now than before the TB but not much . Still with the posted gains of 5 HP & 7 tq you would have thought better numbers than what you got.
I didn't do a before an after test myself and no I never felt the " Dead " spot either , but I do feel a difference in the off the line take off. I can't prove it but it just feels.stronger.
Just my 2 cents..

The times were slower, but I am chalking that up to the increase of tire pressure and lose of traction. We are only talking tenths but none the less. I am hoping to get a better feel over the next few days, since I did not have much of a chance to play with my Camaro today.

67 GTO wrote:Nice detailed write up. My testing showed about the same, no significant 0-60mph difference before and after the TB install. I also don't know of this dead spot.

I do think that when punching the throttle from a roll, the responce seems chrisper.

Thank - you, I can’t wait to play with it some more this week. I see that the temps are going to drop some more later in the week. Time to go have some more fun doing launches and mini runs.

BLACKBEE wrote:Nice writeup Mike, and good to remind all that these bolts are not tight and not to go overboard on them, I just did hand tight with the rachet and a bit more then that to make it snug. I agree on the inital testing as to feel with everyone, it does have more off the line snap and the bottom end does feel stronger, but I never did the testing I wrote about as much as with the TB so I am not a good judge on improvements in the other areas. The dead spot if there, again I never checked before to see, and frankly where I live it is really hard to go out and be able to test that way, to much traffic all over the place, and police. It did improve the feel and crispness in D,S and M that is apparent. in the 2-3000 range in 2nd and 3rd there is no dead spot and it pulls nicely in that range and snaps your head back, but again from the TB or all else I have done? I guess maybe the results better on a stock engine, as probably with any other single mod over stock situation, although other folks saying how they noticed all the advertised improvements and they are modded like us also so who knows? Maybe we need the 60-100 miles thing to let it breakin?

Overall I like it and it did what my ported TB did on my LS1 so all is what I expected.

I do have a question for everyone. Did you guys notice that the car sounds a bit louder now? Mine did after the resonator delete as expected but this "seems" louder, freeway also. Maybe just my ears.

Thanks for the compliment. I can't say that I noticed it being louder, but will have to pay more attention this upcoming week for that too.

Wingsfan wrote:I'v noticed mine a little louder at Idle and cold start up. It seems that when i'm on the on ramps it wants to go at around 3,000 rpms not for sure if it's the TB or the colder nights and mornings. And even though i'v been punching it I have been geting better gas mileage. Just seems everything is a bit smoother now.

That is what I am hoping for too, smoother and better mileage. All good things.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT

Laying rubber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:01 pm
I was curious as to what my # unit is so I checked. Says 2204, your's is 2211, you sure the 22 is the unit#? I jnow we arent 4 and 11

Just curious
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:31 am
Good question. Time for Tracy to step in and answer that one. The bag it came in said # 22 on it. Never thought about the 11.

Maybe the and 04 and 11 is the identifier to let them know where it came from. ....... :shrug:

And the 22 is part of the which cut pattern it came from.
Running 11s
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:33 pm
I noticed the # on mine, just didnt pay much attention to it.
MRT V1/ Injen CAI/ VMax TB/ RX Catch Can/ TrifectaImage
Next

Return to How-To: Article