How to replace the thermostat

Planning on doing a project and want to document it for the rest of us? Post it here!

Moderator: mrray13

Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:27 pm
Looking to replace a thermostat or housing, here is how to go about it:

Removal Procedure

Note: The engine cooling system thermostat and water pump will not function correctly if oil is present in the cooling system.

The cooling system MUST be flushed, the water pump and thermostat replaced if oil is found in the cooling system.

1. Drain the cooling system.
2. Reposition the outlet hose clamp at the water pump inlet.
3. Remove the outlet hose from the water pump inlet.

4. Remove the water pump inlet bolts.
5. Remove the water pump inlet.
6. The O-ring seal is integral to the thermostat housing.
7. Remove the thermostat housing.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the thermostat housing.
2. Ensure the thermostat housing has an O-ring seal and is in the groove correctly.
3. Install the water pump inlet (with thermostat).
4. Install the water pump inlet bolts. Tighten the water pump inlet bolts to 15 Nm (11 lb ft).
5. Install the outlet hose to the water pump inlet.
6. Position the outlet hose clamp at the water outlet.
7. Fill the cooling system. And Bleed any air pockets out
Hi my name is Travis and I have an addiction, an addiction to anything and everything dealing with v6 camaros. :wave:

****T.O.P. SNIPER****
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:54 pm
Thanks again for another great item to have. I will repeat it on this one too. If anyone should ever have a question about something Camaro related by all means ask and I will see what I can do to get us an answer.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:18 pm
The stock Thermostat is what? 200? 190?

I know 160 is TOO low for the V6, but what is a reasonable thermostat to put in? I'm thinking a 10 degree cooler thermostat should be good for some improved performance on warmer days. Does anyone know if a lower temp Thermostat is available??
Midnight => 2011 1LT/RS, A6, Roto-Fab CAI & W/W Relocate, MPD Hood, 25%/18% Carbon Tint

PM me to ask how to save with Amsoil Preferred pricing
Running 12s
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:21 pm
mpiper wrote:The stock Thermostat is what? 200? 190?

I know 160 is TOO low for the V6, but what is a reasonable thermostat to put in? I'm thinking a 10 degree cooler thermostat should be good for some improved performance on warmer days. Does anyone know if a lower temp Thermostat is available??

I think i would leave it alone.. my best dyno results were when the car was really warmed up! We did some back to back pulls and the best numbers were like on the 5th pull! The LLT likes hot fluids and cold air!
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:31 pm
Scrming wrote:
mpiper wrote:The stock Thermostat is what? 200? 190?

I think i would leave it alone.. my best dyno results were when the car was really warmed up! We did some back to back pulls and the best numbers were like on the 5th pull! The LLT likes hot fluids and cold air!

True.......I would not bother changing to a cooler thermostat. The engine is not programmed for a cooler set-up.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT

Return to How-To: Article