What we have learned new this past 2 years on caring for you

Planning on doing a project and want to document it for the rest of us? Post it here!

Moderator: mrray13

Running 12s
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:47 am
Hi All,

Over the past 2 years we have worked closely with a major lubrication company on issues the GDI engines face, causes of wear and failures, and how to prevent these and get the most life out of our engines. I will include technical data, oil analysis data, what is causing wear prematurely, and more. This is the first post just to get this thread established, and I will be back often to add to it and answer questions.

:wave: Tracy at Overkill South! :rolrun:
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:25 pm
Looking forward to reading about your findings. Thank - you
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Running 12s
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:52 pm
What were finding, has opened my eye's for sure, and this relationship proves you are never too old to learn more!

I assumed as the fuel never touches the backsides of the valves any longer, it was a pure waste to use top tier fuels. Well, that part is accurate, they will not in any way keep any part of your engine "clean" as in the adds, but they DO keep the injectors clean. And as GDI injectors operate at 2,000-3,000 PSI, even a small disruption in the spray pattern and atomization will result in even more unburnt raw fuel entering the crankcase. GDI relies on a very precise spray for proper combustion, and droplets form if disrupted and they do not burn as completely as the fine most as designed.

GDI engines experience many times the amount of raw fuel wash-down past the rings. Why? Because the fuel is introduced now at 2,000-3,000 PSI to overcome the intense pressures present just before TDC when spark ignites the mixture. Port injection operated at 45-55 PSI (depending on the manufacturer) so even though that fuel is only present for milliseconds, add the high compression ratio to the force of the fuel entering, and many times the amount is diluting the engine oil.

A synthetic blend oil such as the dealer and owners manual recommend, and use as part of the dealer supplied oil changes, is better than oils of the past, but they do not do as well to still provide as much protection as a full synthetic.

Also, the amount of abrasive particulate matter entering past the rings quickly overwhelms the blend oil when compared to a full syn, and this they attribute to the premature wear and failure of the timing chains and related components.

Prior to 2014 (or late 2013) there was no low oil indicator where for decades almost all automakers, GM included had these so owners have gotten to rely on this and rarely open the hood and check fluid levels. So the running low on oil is a main cause of engine failure.

Now, we look at the intake valve coking. Side by side engines run for the same hours and at the same load levels, but half with Dexos blend, the other half with premium full synthetic, and at the equivalent of 30k miles the full syn engines had as little as 1/4th the coking deposit build up/formation as those that ran full syn oil. This is directly related to the residue/sludge left over when burnt. This can be demonstrated at home (with great care to not cause a fire!!!!). Take a tablespoon of full syn in one pan, a tablespoon of syn blend or conventional oil in another, and turn on high and watch what is left after the oil burns away. The full syn leaves almost no ash/residue where the blend leaves a dark sticky burned on gunk.

Oil changes!!! Going 10k miles on a blend in a GDI engines results in far greater wear, and full syn oil cannot protect when overwhelmed with the raw fuel and other contaminates either, so 4-5k mile oil changes should now be adopted no matter what the owners manual states.

And as I have always preached, install a truly effective catchcan system with dual evacuation suction outlets so the engine is evacuating these contaminates at all times, and not just at idle, cruise, and deceleration as the factory PCV system does.

What is caught in these effective systems that would have been allowed to settle and accumulate in the crankcase contaminating the engine oil? This is just one can drain at 2500 miles on one of the fleet they have been using to evaluate, confirm, and validate the benefits.

When spun in the labs centrifuge and then analysed, the contents were as follows:

70% acidic watter (the sulfuric acid trapped mixes with the water and a centrifuge does not separate them).

23% raw fuel....that is amazing. The GDI engine is so efficient (when new) that even though many tomes the raw fuel passes the piston rings, they still get better fuel economy than any port injection could)

7% oil full of abrasive particulate matter (and some catchcans advertise they RETURN this mix to the crankcase!)

Now, going further, here is part of a 10k mile test on the oil in one of the fleet.

First, this is a vehicle they have over 50k miles on so far in their testing. This is typical of what they find as they do these over and over again,

This engine was run for 6k miles with no catchcan installed. Then a sample drawn and analysed. I will just list the fuel amounts and the viscosity, even though there are 22 other compounds tested for.

At 6k miles, no can, fuel was at 4.5. Viscosity@40 was 45.71, and @100 8.76. Now the same oil left in was run another 5k miles, and then a sample taken and fuel actually DROPPED (normally would have risen) to 3.86 showing how some of the volatile compounds can still be removed with added crankcase flushing and evacuation even after entering the oil. 4.5 w/no can, and then another 5k miles w/the Tracy Lewis can system installed down to 3.86 is pretty dramatic as oil protection goes.

Now viscosity: @40 ROSE to 56.98 and @100 to 8.82. That may not seem huge, but in every case w/out a system installed that would have degraded substantially.

In the other wear indicators, etc. most were far below what the same oil, same miles, in the same vehicle would have shown.

What I learned as well is in relation to piston ring seating. As most know that have an engine building background, the rings only have a short window in which to abrade into the shape of the cylinder walls with the aid of the abrasive hone pattern cut when new. This si generally past by 400-500 miles as a hard glaze will set covering the cross hatch and that brief window has past. The reason so many use oil at the rates we consider excessive. They were able to show me that at full throttle under a load, further seating can occur, at least in the dyno cells. Not practical on the street, but another eye opener for me.

This research facility I was fortunate to visit and spend time with both the engineers and the scientists in the lab is beyond anything I had ever visited to date, and the millions that are going into studying the premature wear and engine failures and how to identify and combat these just had me like a kid in a candy store. They are now app 1.5 years in the log term testing of my designs as a solution for much of this. Oil drain intervals can be extended as much as 50% with our system installed. Wear decreased substantially, and fuel economy validated (1-3 MPG improvement mainly due to reduced knock retard and a cleaner burn removing these contaminates).

So this is about as much as I can share due to NDA's, but we are truly in a new era of engines and the proper care and feeding of them. GDI is here to stay.
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:20 pm
Great information. Thank - you. So glad I read about good break-in procedures prior to taking delivery on my Camaro. Was able to get a catch can (one of yours) on my Camaro at 13K miles. And finally I avg. around 4K miles between oil changes and use Mobil 1. So I am doing everything I can to protect my engine.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Gearhead
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:49 pm
RX Catch Can
Mobil One Full Syn
Premium Fuel
change oil every +/-3500 miles
Mods to date:
Chevorlet door sills,Rear trunk blackout,Blacked out bowtie,
Vararam intake with Green Filter
Rx Catch cans
MBRP Exhaust Tips
Trifecta Tune