Clearing Mods Through GM for Warranty

General problems, repairs and maintenance. Fix squeaks, rattles, etc

Moderator: mrray13

Laying rubber
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:17 pm
In my dealership tech experience, flashing the PCM was only done on approval of our tech line. This was only done to address specific issues. We did get the random person that would come in asking for the latest flash based on something they read in a forum or elsewhere. But I would still have to call the tech line, give VIN information, and describe a specific issue or code before I could get approval to flash.

Of course this was at Mazda, not Chevy, so YMMV.
2011 IOM 1LT M6
BBK CAI
Solo Mach X-LLT Catback
VMax CNC Throttle Body
VMax Intake Black Ice isolator
Eibach Pro Springs/Sway Bars
Stock SS Midnight Silver 20s w/PZeros
G2 caliper paint
Just having fun
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:13 pm
TankMorph wrote:In my dealership tech experience, flashing the PCM was only done on approval of our tech line. This was only done to address specific issues. We did get the random person that would come in asking for the latest flash based on something they read in a forum or elsewhere. But I would still have to call the tech line, give VIN information, and describe a specific issue or code before I could get approval to flash.

Good intel here... so really then the dealers are just clearing codes and not necessarily reflashing. I had heard that dealerships were doing this to actually rid warranted cars of potential aftermarket tunes.

Tank, will these dealerships perform CASE learns after modifications are done on the car? For example, if I reset the computer after installing the vararam unit, exhaust and maybe a tune, can the dealer just quickly do a crankshift position analysis, or is that a whole big thing?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:19 pm
IMJ wrote:
TankMorph wrote:In my dealership tech experience, flashing the PCM was only done on approval of our tech line. This was only done to address specific issues. We did get the random person that would come in asking for the latest flash based on something they read in a forum or elsewhere. But I would still have to call the tech line, give VIN information, and describe a specific issue or code before I could get approval to flash.

Good intel here... so really then the dealers are just clearing codes and not necessarily reflashing. I had heard that dealerships were doing this to actually rid warranted cars of potential aftermarket tunes.

Tank, will these dealerships perform CASE learns after modifications are done on the car? For example, if I reset the computer after installing the vararam unit, exhaust and maybe a tune, can the dealer just quickly do a crankshift position analysis, or is that a whole big thing?

you should be able to have any dealership do a case relearn for you...but they tend to charge an arm and a leg for something that should otherwise take 5-10 minutes.

I went in once with my 96 camaro to have a CASE done when I replaced my PCM and the dealership wanted $80 for it...so be careful.
Amsoil Synthetic Oils http://www.lubedealer.com/canadian-synthetics

*Lowest prices in both the USA and Canada
*Several distribution centers located around North America
*Discounts prices on NGK/Mothers/WIX filters/Injen and many more
Laying rubber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:06 pm
What it comes down to is, if your car is in the shop for an hour, the service writer is going to do their best to get an hour's labor out of you.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk.
2011 IOM 1LT M6
BBK CAI
Solo Mach X-LLT Catback
VMax CNC Throttle Body
VMax Intake Black Ice isolator
Eibach Pro Springs/Sway Bars
Stock SS Midnight Silver 20s w/PZeros
G2 caliper paint
Previous

Return to General Maintenance and Tech Issues