Whinning-Grind Noise at Cold Idle-Sounds like Belt or Pulley

General problems, repairs and maintenance. Fix squeaks, rattles, etc

Moderator: mrray13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:36 am
For a long time now my car has had a noise when idle at cold engine temps and a little bit when warm.
The sound/noise is less when the engine is warm, but it is still there.
The sound/noise sounds to me like a bearing on one of the pulleys grinding, or like a belt slipping.
I took my car to my dealer last year and the service manager rode in the car while I drove.
Then when we returned to the dealership he heard the noise from belt(s)/pulley,
but said he could not determine where it was coming from.
He said I shouldn't worry about it unless it gets louder.

Well it's another season with the car now out of storage, and the sound/noise is still there.
It doesn't seem to be any worse than before, but you can definitely hear it.
It is kind of embarrassing when I am showing off my car to others because everybody hears it as the car idles.
At idle the engine should run quietly, but mine has always had this bearing grind or pulley squeal/grind noise.
I will more than likely replace the stock exhaust soon and that should give me something else to listen to besides the engine winning/grinding noise.
I would rather fix the noise, and change my exhaust for other reasons.

Anybody else having this problem?
Anybody have any suggestions about what it is or what I should do?
Kingsnake Ordered: Order # NKNMSX, 6-15-09 - 2LT, RS, with Auto6, Aqua Blue Metalic, Factory Installed White Rally Stripes, Sun Roof, & 20x8/20x9 Polished Alum. Wheels. Delivered 9-28-09, COOL.
Gearhead
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:14 am
Maybe this will help. I have an early built car and had my drive belt changed under warranty. I didn't have the problem but wanted the upgraded belt.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpost. ... stcount=11

GMPP exhaust/JBA shorties/Vararam CAI/VMax TB/SLP Pulley/Hypertech programmer/VMax Isolater/Mace Ported IM & Plenum Spacer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:47 pm
67 GTO wrote:Maybe this will help. I have an early built car and had my drive belt changed under warranty. I didn't have the problem but wanted the upgraded belt.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpost. ... stcount=11

Thanks for the reply, but my car was built 9-15-09, (3800 Vehicle Produced - 9-15-09 - 2G1FC1EV1A9146788), so according to the bulletin my car should already have the new Drive belt.
Additionally, I hear the noise, skreach/wine/gring just after starting the worst, and the AC is never on when I start the car.
Keep in mind the noise lessens but does not completely go away even when the engine is warm and at idle.
I will keep the bulletin info and show it to the dealer service manager get time I take my car in for service.
Thanks!

Any other suggestions?
Kingsnake Ordered: Order # NKNMSX, 6-15-09 - 2LT, RS, with Auto6, Aqua Blue Metalic, Factory Installed White Rally Stripes, Sun Roof, & 20x8/20x9 Polished Alum. Wheels. Delivered 9-28-09, COOL.
Mini-Post Whore
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:29 am
Sounds like a belt issue to me. Possibly loose?
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:49 pm
Maybe you still got one of the older belts even thou the bulletin says otherwise. Never know stranger things have happened. See if the dealer will replace the belt based on the bulletin and your explanation of the issue.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:51 pm
I am not sure, but I believe your noise sounds the same as mine. And when I took it to a dealer, they told me the noise is normal, as it is the high pressure fuel system pumping up(thus the whinning, grinding sound) and louder idle than most new vehicles. Your statement is exactly how I discribe the noise, like a bad bearing grinding and the like, especially at cold start-up. Now mind you, I live in arizona, and I just drove her from cold, and the air temp is 88 degrees, and it still makes the noise. And yes, it is embarrassing, until you realize you have one of the only direct injection motors made. So, I am living with the noise.

Here is some info copied and pasted from an article on our engine and the fuel system:

Named one of Ward's Ten Best Engines for 2008 (one of the most prestigious honors in the industry) and known as the "high-feature V-6" to most within GM, the LLT is nothing less than GM's world-beating six-banger, first introduced in the 2008 Cadillac STS (and also optional in the CTS, where it's rated at 304 SAE-certified horsepower). It's important to mention that two versions of this 60-degree engine exist, and the one that we'll get in the Camaro is of the direct-injection variety. A lower-output, PFI version of this engine (which carries RPO LY7) is standard in the Cadillac CTS and also powers vehicles like the Chevrolet Malibu and base Pontiac G8. Therefore, it's critical to note that Camaro is getting the "cream of the crop" of GM V-6 engines-a showing of GM's commitment to this vehicle and to the high-performance character of all Camaros, SS or no.

2010 Chevy Camaro Engine Options Llt Direct Injection System

The meat and potatoes of the LLT's direct injection system. [i]How it works: a conventional in-tank electric pump sends fuel toward the fuel rails, at which point a mechanical pump-seen at right side of photo driven off one of the exhaust cams-is used to boost fuel pressure to 1,700+ psi (or "only" about 500 psi at idle). [i]Fuel then travels through stainless steel fuel rails to highly specialized fuel injectors, which spray directly into each cylinder. --->

This last paragraph is the important one. That whinning noise is this secondary pump, and exactly where my noise originates from.
Hope this helps. Or, the dealership fed me a line of crap.
FREEDOM ISN'T FREE. Thanks to all of our troops and local law enforcement working to keep our way of life safe!

Return to General Maintenance and Tech Issues