Noisy front struts are normal?

General problems, repairs and maintenance. Fix squeaks, rattles, etc

Moderator: mrray13


Newbie
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Oxnard, California
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:45 am
Then since the strut bar had not arrived yet I waited one more week to install that one.... when I got the car back... I popped the hood to take a look at the new strut bar on place and told a look at a sight that I did not like at all. Hope I can explain this since is a bit complicated... to describe... so the place where the strut bar gets attached to the body of the car or chassis I don't know if I'm getting the right name.... or maybe is called the strut towers... whatever well is where the strut goes... u all know what I'm.talking about.... well the plastic cover that goes on top of the struts is popped on both left and right side.... hope some of you know what I'm talking about... took it back to the guy who installed it and told me that nothing was wrong... that probably the new suspension has finally settle in... I guess meaning the springs... so the struts have been pushed a bit so that makes the gap between the plastic cover that go on top of the struts and the chassis of the car.... is this normal ... have u seen it ? Is it bad for my car ? Will that affect my struts or any parts of the suspension at all... ill try to get pics if possible... help everyone what can I do ? Thanks for reading my long as description and Sorry for bugging

Newbie
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Oxnard, California
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:52 am
Thanks Yeah its really a nice set up..... and Yes it did help with the sway rounding the corners..... for suspension upgrades I'm finished...... the noisy is not a lot and it is like the one u mentioned being like a knocking wood...... not to much but is still annoying me.... so u still have the sound on yours Lynnspeed
User avatar
Laying rubber
Posts: 446
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:03 pm
Location: Arizona
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:37 am
Lio88 wrote:Thanks Yeah its really a nice set up..... and Yes it did help with the sway rounding the corners..... for suspension upgrades I'm finished...... the noisy is not a lot and it is like the one u mentioned being like a knocking wood...... not to much but is still annoying me.... so u still have the sound on yours Lynnspeed



Yes, the noise is still there. I take the exit from my development slower with the tunes turned up so it doesn't annoy me. It bothers me that GM would make such a great car with cheap struts like that. I am still waiting to go get my next oil change as I will be going to a different dealer and I am going to have them check it out too.... I do have to say after putting a few thousand miles on my car, I'm not very happy with the handling. :thumbsdown:
Image
User avatar
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
Posts: 7559
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:18 pm
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:09 am
Lio88 wrote:Then since the strut bar had not arrived yet I waited one more week to install that one.... when I got the car back... I popped the hood to take a look at the new strut bar on place and told a look at a sight that I did not like at all. Hope I can explain this since is a bit complicated... to describe... so the place where the strut bar gets attached to the body of the car or chassis I don't know if I'm getting the right name.... or maybe is called the strut towers... whatever well is where the strut goes... u all know what I'm.talking about.... well the plastic cover that goes on top of the struts is popped on both left and right side.... hope some of you know what I'm talking about... took it back to the guy who installed it and told me that nothing was wrong... that probably the new suspension has finally settle in... I guess meaning the springs... so the struts have been pushed a bit so that makes the gap between the plastic cover that go on top of the struts and the chassis of the car.... is this normal ... have u seen it ? Is it bad for my car ? Will that affect my struts or any parts of the suspension at all... ill try to get pics if possible... help everyone what can I do ? Thanks for reading my long as description and Sorry for bugging



Glad to hear it is working for you. Sorry to hear about the noises. I only hear a slight noise when turning hard. I am convinced it is the sway bar end links. I have not changed those out yet. Not sure if I will either.

Pictures will help.

And No I do not think the covers should be sitting up off the shock towers. At least mine are not. I have the Eibach lowering springs and sway bars too. Love the way it handles now.
Image
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
User avatar
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
Posts: 7559
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:18 pm
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:12 am
Lynnspeed wrote:
Lio88 wrote:Thanks Yeah its really a nice set up..... and Yes it did help with the sway rounding the corners..... for suspension upgrades I'm finished...... the noisy is not a lot and it is like the one u mentioned being like a knocking wood...... not to much but is still annoying me.... so u still have the sound on yours Lynnspeed



Yes, the noise is still there. I take the exit from my development slower with the tunes turned up so it doesn't annoy me. It bothers me that GM would make such a great car with cheap struts like that. I am still waiting to go get my next oil change as I will be going to a different dealer and I am going to have them check it out too.... I do have to say after putting a few thousand miles on my car, I'm not very happy with the handling. :thumbsdown:



Sorry to hear that.

Lowering the Camaro barely helps with the handling. Lowering is for looks.

It is the sway bars that will get you the most bang for the buck. Sway bars for the handling.
Image
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
User avatar
BowtieV6 Fanatic
Posts: 1696
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: San Diego, CA
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:20 pm
rtcat600man wrote:
Lynnspeed wrote:
Lio88 wrote:Thanks Yeah its really a nice set up..... and Yes it did help with the sway rounding the corners..... for suspension upgrades I'm finished...... the noisy is not a lot and it is like the one u mentioned being like a knocking wood...... not to much but is still annoying me.... so u still have the sound on yours Lynnspeed



Yes, the noise is still there. I take the exit from my development slower with the tunes turned up so it doesn't annoy me. It bothers me that GM would make such a great car with cheap struts like that. I am still waiting to go get my next oil change as I will be going to a different dealer and I am going to have them check it out too.... I do have to say after putting a few thousand miles on my car, I'm not very happy with the handling. :thumbsdown:



Sorry to hear that.

Lowering the Camaro barely helps with the handling. Lowering is for looks.

It is the sway bars that will get you the most bang for the buck. Sway bars for the handling.


:werd: Hope you can get this resolved. Has obviously taken too long already.
Image
Sold :(
Previous

Return to General Maintenance and Tech Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest