Onstar

General problems, repairs and maintenance. Fix squeaks, rattles, etc

Moderator: mrray13

Running 11s
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:20 pm
The free trial period is up in a few days, so I called onstar yesterday to take the Camaro of continuous coverage.I am not sure I want to keep it.Got another 2 months free.
Red Ryder 2011 2LT/ RS/ VR / Roto-Fab Cai / ARK DTS cat back exhaust / Defender Works Chrome door sills /RPI Stealth mud guards / DIY painted engine cover, and brake rotors / Suntek Window tint / RX catch can / Team LLT Badges. TEAM LLT
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:04 pm
I just received my letter yesterday. Reminding me that mine is coming to an end soon. April 7th. I do not plan to renew it.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Running 11s
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:27 pm
I still have til July 19 free but I plan on subscribing to the "safe and sound" package when my free sub is up.
Tori
2010 IBM 2LT RS 6M
"Raised by Wolves"
Just having fun
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:55 pm
I am loving Onstar so much I may not be able to play hardball with them! Hey lady! Find me a bar within 2 miles! Sweet!
2010 2LT/RS | Injen CAI | Flowmaster American Thunder Axle Back | Hood spears, gill inserts, side stripes

Pictures of mods etc to car at this link!

http://photobucket.com/MayesCamaro
Running 11s
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:19 pm
I have till the end of April probably wont re-new unless it's free. Anyone know if we have to call to cancel? I'v also been geting XM 5 for 20 might do that for the summer and cancel again.
MRT V1/ Injen CAI/ VMax TB/ RX Catch Can/ TrifectaImage

Gearhead
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:18 pm
rtcat600man wrote:I just received my letter yesterday. Reminding me that mine is coming to an end soon. April 7th. I do not plan to renew it.

I got the same letter but I'm going with the safe package but not the navigation pkg.
TEAM LLT

Gearhead
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:35 am
ive heard that some people have played hardball with the people over at onstar and talked them down to something like $35 a year for the top package or something like that, can't remember exactly. also i remember reading on C5 that the onstar application for our cars would include 2010 Camaro's. I haven't heard anything on this yet, but it could be worth the research. I know that i would feel a whole bunch better knowing that if, fingers crossed, one day my car were to get stolen i could call the cops, and tell them where exactly my car was so i could get it back as soon as possible, you know something like that.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 am
yea my uncle had his car stolen and it had onstar on it but he did not renew so it was turned off. Onstar would not help him when it was stolen by activating the gps because he wasn't a current subscriber. Pretty lame but they will not help you if you don't have a subscription. For peace of mind if it were ever stolen, I say keep it activated
Hi my name is Travis and I have an addiction, an addiction to anything and everything dealing with v6 camaros. :wave:

****T.O.P. SNIPER****
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:15 am
travis wrote:yea my uncle had his car stolen and it had onstar on it but he did not renew so it was turned off. Onstar would not help him when it was stolen by activating the gps because he wasn't a current subscriber. Pretty lame but they will not help you if you don't have a subscription. For peace of mind if it were ever stolen, I say keep it activated

Good point........might play hard ball, get a good rate and keep it for that reason.........HMMMM
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Running 11s
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:35 pm
I think it should be on the whole time the car is a: still under warranty, or b: the whole time it's financed, which in most cases about the same length of time of the warranty period. This getting it for one year, and then having to pay for it while other companies are offering stuff like free scheduled maintenance from between 2 years and 5, is IMHO, a ripoff. Sure that stuff is different, but I'm just using it as an example.

There are some neat features to OnStar, that's for sure, And if one could get it at like $50 a year, it would be well worth it. However, when you have $60k in two GM cars sitting outside your home, one would expect something like OnStar to be included on both the whole time you own those vehicles.

If nothing else, things like stolen vehicle recovery and the emergency medical/wreck detection stuff should be free, and one could pay for the rest, like door unlock, navigation, etc. I would be very happy with just that!!
Image1LT/RS RY; Trifecta tuned, Injen long tube CAI, ARH long tubes/cats,custom catback with Flowmaster Super 44s, IAT relocate and RXtreme catch can/breather
Next

Return to General Maintenance and Tech Issues