Problem and my GM exp. so far

General problems, repairs and maintenance. Fix squeaks, rattles, etc

Moderator: mrray13

Just having fun
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:44 am
Hey, Last week I was following a big truck on the onramp and something came off the truck and smacked my windshield. Well,I got the plate number and the company name from the side of the truck. Called and told them what happened. The company was nice about it and told me to get an estimate. Long story short, they gave me a check to have the windshield replaced.

This past Tuesday took it to Safelite. They replaced the windshield with GM glass! Everything seemed fine. Didn't drive the car much until 2 days later. While on I95 doing about 75,the car just lost power. All the lights were still on and never flickered. Service stabilitrac came on,lasted like 3 seconds and power came back on. Did it 4 times in a 3 mile span. Got the car home and the next day went to check out what I could. Tried to remote start it,and it started and lasted like 30 seconds and shut off. Did it again while inside the car and it did it again. Tried on last time and while it was running touched the remote start box and it died. Well,I checked all the connections I could see and it seemed fine.

Now yesterday,while out of town,the car started losing power again! This time to go 4 miles,it stalled like 8 times. Called onstar. They ran diagnostics, said no codes. Asked for the nearest dealer. they told me about a mile away. Well,the car got so bad I told them to tow it after it died in a very busy intesection! While waiting for onstar to gather info,I tried it again,the car fired up but sounded like it wanted to stall again. Got it through the interrsection and around the corner when I seen the dealership. Just gunned it and made it. Told onstar I had it at the dealer.

Went in and talked to a service manager. He said he had a tech there,but couldn't get him out to look at the car. Told the kid I was from out of town and needed a car to get home. He told me the Enterprise they deal with was closed at 12 noon. Great! it was 12:35!!! Asked him what I should do. He told me he could do nothing. So I called GM. They told me I was out of luck because the car had not been diagnosed! Told them to call the dealership and tell the tech to come outside. They said they couldn't do that. So here I am out of town and without a car stranded at a dealership. Had to call someone who drove 3 hours to get me and take me home! My car is at the dealers waiting to be looked at on Monday. Then I have to find a ride to take me another 3 hours to pick up the car once they find out whats up. This is my only car. Had to miss work sunday night and will miss another day to go get the car. All because I can't get a loaner. Thank god I had somebody willing to drive 6 hours round trip to come get me. I'm so pissed right now!!!!

GM if you're reading this,your customer service blows! You left me high and dry,in a major city without any transportation!!

Guys,what do you think I should do about the way this was handled? And what do you think could be wrong with the car? Its never ever done this before. Could it be the remote start? Or just a coincidence between the stalling and the windshield?
2011 2LT/RS RJT CGM stripes. MRT2.0, RJT RotoFabCAI, RX Catchcan&breather,35%tint, RJT enginecover, flamed fbox cover,DRL harness, RotoFab washer, ADM scoop,VMAX TB,trunk enclosure,RS headrests,lugnut decals,RJTcenter caps,TrifectaTune,AAC footwell.
Running 13s
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:29 am
That is a really crappy situation, sorry to hear that.

I think it is just coincidence, I do not see how repairing the windshild would have any effect on the issue you are seeing.

It sounds similar to the issue I had with my MAF sensor. But I'm heavily moded, what mods if any do you have?

Could be any number of things really, like a bad O2 sensor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
Just having fun
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:33 am
Well,engine mods are rotofab cai,rx 3/8 spacer,ported TB, catchcan. Wouldn't an o2 sensor throw codes? Same with MAF? If windshield wasn't problem,maybe fuel pump? But what I don't get is no codes. And what REALLY gets me is how GM left me and my family high and dry 150+ miles from home.
2011 2LT/RS RJT CGM stripes. MRT2.0, RJT RotoFabCAI, RX Catchcan&breather,35%tint, RJT enginecover, flamed fbox cover,DRL harness, RotoFab washer, ADM scoop,VMAX TB,trunk enclosure,RS headrests,lugnut decals,RJTcenter caps,TrifectaTune,AAC footwell.
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:24 pm
man that sucks. Yea the windshield issue is not going to be related, that is just body, nothing electrical or anything like that. Not sure what the issue is, sounds like a bad MAF but could be something else.

As for the service, that is crazy to not give you a loaner vehicle. Shouldn't the car rental be open the same hours as the dealership?
Hi my name is Travis and I have an addiction, an addiction to anything and everything dealing with v6 camaros. :wave:

****T.O.P. SNIPER****
Just having fun
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:28 pm
yeah maybe just a coincidence,but it started right after the windshield replacement. Like maybe hours after. I agree about the rental. they use enterprise,but I'm sure there is more than 1 in Philadelphia. In fact I'd bet my car there was another one in the city that was open.
Just having fun
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:30 pm
UPDATE: Got a call from dealership. ECM was fried. Told me the cause was the footwell lights I installed. I hooked up the lights to the grey wire under steering column. Told me he overlooked the mod and is submitting the warranty anyway. These lights have been in for a year. Plus I've never heard of it causing this. BS?..... but car is fixed. Now to find a way to get back there to get the car.
Running 13s
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:35 pm
Good to hear it is fixed. The lights may have fried the electronics, but seems unlikely given the time that they have been installed. Still a possibility.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
Just having fun
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:10 pm
C/S That the vehicle stalled around 15 times when driving in the last 2 days or so. Tech found codes P0650, P0513, and P0700 in ECM. Tech found Code U0100. Tech found that the BCM was shorted out. According to Document PI0549 Replace BCM. Tech replaced and programmed BCM. Setup code FD9C2 Configure Code 11840 and immobilizer learn FDA03. OLH is for additional time needed for additional configuration needed for immobilizer.

This is what the bill says. But the service manager said the tech told him it was because of the footwells. I can't see a led light bar backfeeding voltage. Plus nobody has had this problem of the thousands who have done it. I T-Tapped the grey wire and ran a seperate ground to the metal frame of the console. Plus had the mod for almost a year.
Just having fun
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:50 pm
Can anyone find out what Document PI0549 is?
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:14 am
Out4it wrote:Can anyone find out what Document PI0549 is?

Ask the dealer for a copy of that document. All my searches turned up empty.

Glad to hear it is being covered and fixed. I agree, sound odd that the footwell lights would wipe out the system. Good news it is covered thou.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Next

Return to General Maintenance and Tech Issues