Engine misfire, smoke in exhaust

General problems, repairs and maintenance. Fix squeaks, rattles, etc

Moderator: mrray13

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:27 pm
2010 V6, engine froze up with 14,000 miles, oil problem, GM replaced engine ($8,600 total replacement cost) warranty covered, long block replacement. New engine has 2,000 miles, 3 days ago, returning from trip on interstate, engine starts missing, engine light comes on, I tried to make it to the dealership 20 miles away. Engine light now starts blinking, heavy smoke coming from exhaust. I pull over & have Camaro towed to dealership. Next day I get a call from dealership, computer indicates random misfire but car running fine now, they have no idea what caused the problem but are going to call GM to have them check computer files for similar cases. Anyone know of this problem on the Camaro V6 or what the cause may have been? Not happy after having to replace the engine 6 months ago. :oops:

ec
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:26 am
Welcome to BowtieV6.

Sorry to hear about the engine trouble you have been experiencing.

Yes, there have been some reports of the condition you have listed. Many of those even documented here on the forum. Take a look around in the engine section and you can read up on some of the issues others have had.

Maybe call the regional dealer folks and see what they make of the situation.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:04 pm
Thanks, will check!
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:16 pm
sorry to hear the bad luck you have had with the engine. Yea if the local dealer won't help you, call further up the chain and they will make it happen. Some dealers can be a pain to deal with. Also welcome to the site :D
Hi my name is Travis and I have an addiction, an addiction to anything and everything dealing with v6 camaros. :wave:

****T.O.P. SNIPER****
Just having fun
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:35 am
Yes, I have the Missfire issue on mine, but under different circumstances.

Mine is when it gets cold outside, and the engine starts in choke mode. Seems the ecm dumps too much fuel into the cyl and it throws missfire codes. Once its run for a minute its fine.

Dealer hasnt been able to recreate it and only had a GM bulletin to "De Carbon" the top end using some foam or liquid of sorts.

Car is in storage now, so I havent tried it recently.....I have zero confidence that the issue is fixed, Im 99% sure this is an ECM issue and it just dumps too much fuel for the ambient temperature's jsut above freezing.

Caddy CTS has the same issues with the V6 Direct Injection
Running 12s
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:48 pm
The carbonization of the intake valves on all direct injection engines is a hiuge problem.

RX catchcan will prevent it from happening in the future, but the current buildup has to be dealt with. Depending on how much your engine is using as far as oil consumption the TB gets buildup in the throat just downstrem of the blade causing stumbling, etc as well.

We see this in all the GM DI based platforms and every other manufacturer as well.

Below is a picture of the pre-DI 3.6 with traditional port injection (the LY7 engine) and you can see how the use of top tier fuels would keep the intake valves clean as the fuel/air mixture travels past the valves preventing the deposits from forming. This motor by the way has over 120k miles on it from a caddy CTS:

And here is how a DI 3.6 valves look after as little as 6-10k miles:

Also, upper induction cleanings break a good deal of the deposits loose and improve the power & fuel economy, but these are very hard and abrasive deposits and the smaller particles get trapped between the cylinder walls and pistons causing scouring like this....over time this allows even more oil consumption and premature wear:

Another thing to be aware of is with a long block replacement they reuse your valve covers & other accy's and the fixed orfice vent holes that allow crankcase evacuation are so tiny that they get clogged as well and this forces the oil laden crankcase vapors to back-flow through the clean side tube (path of least resistance) into the air box/intake tube and ingest upstream of the TB. If they did not clean or replace it at the time this could be your issue:

These are awesome motors, but as with all new technology issues pop up.

We had a customer post pictures of over 30k miles with the RX oil separating catchcan system installed since the car was new and the valves look almost as clean as the pre DI pics here.

Easier, cheaper, and better for the motor to prevent the problem before it becomes evident.

:thumbsup:
Just having fun
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 am
BatCar, I sent you a PM, let me know if you got it, (I seem to be having trouble sending PM's for some reason (shows in my out box, but not in the sent box)
Running 12s
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:47 am
Answered!! :thumbsup:

Some more pictures of intake valves from cars in here lately:

Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:53 pm
straycat wrote:BatCar, I sent you a PM, let me know if you got it, (I seem to be having trouble sending PM's for some reason (shows in my out box, but not in the sent box)

sent box means you sent it but recipient hasn't viewed it, once it is opened then it shows in outbox ;)
Hi my name is Travis and I have an addiction, an addiction to anything and everything dealing with v6 camaros. :wave:

****T.O.P. SNIPER****
Just having fun
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:24 am
Thanks
My RTX catch Can should be here in a couple of weeks, hopefully its not to late to save my motor
Next

Return to General Maintenance and Tech Issues