Check Engine lIght came on --- again

General problems, repairs and maintenance. Fix squeaks, rattles, etc

Moderator: mrray13

Just having fun
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:03 am
2011 Camaro v6 - 100% stock, 30,000km

Last spring (March/April) 2012, when i got my car out for the first time in ages (snowy cold winter), it was running real rough on startup, it smoothed out after warming up but in thE mean time the engine light came on. I took it to the dealer, they said it was missfire code, likely due to sitting all winter, they ceared the code, and I went on my way, Car was fine all summer. Fast forward 7 months to today.

Took the car off the road last week for the winter, went to the garage this morning to fire it up and it was running really really rough for 5 minutes, eventually it smoothed out but but engine light is on again.

Not sure if this is a cold start ECM related issue or is it possible the fuel pressure is dropping when it sits for a week and it takes time to rebuild that pressure ?.

I know the dealer can clear the code, but i may have to leave the car there for a week to ge the problem reproduced.

anyone heard of this issue ?
Running 11s
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:13 am
I store mine every winter, never had this kind of issue. Good luck getting it fixed.
Tori
2010 IBM 2LT RS 6M
"Raised by Wolves"
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:49 am
There have been some reports of rough idling and it trips the codes. Not sure if there are any bulletins on this one. But taking it to the dealer is the right start to this issue. I have yet to throw the rough idle code. Knock on WOOD.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Just having fun
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:55 pm
If anyone does have a TSB number please let me know, im taking her to the dealer tomorrow. I'll leave it for the week if need be so they can test it for a few days after any fix

its definitely over delivery of fuel, as i look closer there are 2 large pools of black carbon water, one under each muffler in the garage after this happened.
BowtieV6 Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:38 am
I havent seen any TSB's for this yet, will have to check again. As for the carbon, I would think its because of running rich and moisture in the pipes when hot exhaust meets the cold metal/air.
Sold :(
Just having fun
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:34 pm
Never did get a satisfactory answer on this from the dealer, its been in the garage under cover now for 3 months, next month it may come out.

I expect it to throw codes again at that time.

I have no faith that GM knows why these cars run rich when the ambient temp drops, the computer just seems to dump huge amounts of fuel into the cylinders.

Looks like Ill be carrying an OBD11 code reader around with me to clear codes in the spring and fall :(

or

maybe time to trade it on a Mustang GT
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:37 pm
Mine was sitting in a lot for 7 months while I was on an overseas deployment. Came back, started up really rough; whole car was shaking. After a few minutes it ran smooth. Had a check engine light on, decided to check it out. It had a whole cylinder bank misfire. Put some fuel stabilizer in for good measure. I think mine was just water in the fuel due to sitting so long. Never had an issue like that one come up since.
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:16 pm
Welcome home and Thank - you for serving. Hope all goes well with adding the stable to the fuel and your issue is resolved.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Just having fun
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:49 pm
try adding bottle of Techron fuel additive, it is great for cleaning injectors as well as eliminating carbon build up on the valves.
2011 1LT early convertible, Victory Red, black bowties, engine cover, K&N, Elite catch can, Boston Acoustics sound, ZL1 front end, side skirts, rear diffuser and wheels, ECF Trucarbon heat extractor, alloy-tec emblems, NPP exhaust, Hurst shifter
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:05 pm
Thanks, man! Just retired and loving life

Return to General Maintenance and Tech Issues