Empty Threaded Hole On Front Of Motor??

General problems, repairs and maintenance. Fix squeaks, rattles, etc

Moderator: mrray13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:32 am
Was about to take off my water outlet to see if the gaskets were leaking or see if it had a crack in it and while i was taking the air intake off i saw a threaded hole with no bolt in it, below this hole there was coolant sitting on the water pump. Does anyone else have this empty threaded hole? It's between the water pump and water outlet on the left side
Running 12s
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:57 am
Most likely one of the threaded holes not used on the camaro, but as the same engines are used in many GM platforms, several are not used. You have both oil and coolant leaks? Mainly from the front? How many miles on it? Water pump will wear seal and shaft over time, but super easy to replace. Clean all and then run to tray and find oil leak.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:13 am
That's what i thought on that empty threaded hole but I just wanted to make sure. I replaced the water pump and it was still losing coolant, found out that the water outlet gaskets were leaking and replaced them and now it seems to be holding coolant. The oil leak looks like it's coming from the front cover but i'm not really sure, car has 70k miles on it. Thanks for all the help!

Return to General Maintenance and Tech Issues