Technostalgia tail light error

Alarms, Electrical Diagrams, HUD Displays, Hard-Wiring, Radar Detectors, LEDs

Moderator: SDCamaro10

Just having fun
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:26 pm
I finally got these tail lights (BAD-MAB.com) and installed them but ran into a small problem. I also installed a switch to enable show off mode and that works great.

When using the turn signals, they blink very fast after a few seconds and are not synched and I get the error shown in the pictures. Is this fixable or do you guys with them installed just deal with it?

Sometimes it happens and sometimes it does not. It seems to happen much more when it is cold/wet outside. It tends to not happen that much in warm and sunny weather. I have been messing with these tail lights for hours and I give up.
Attachments
33.jpg
33.jpg (8.94 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (9.01 KiB) Viewed 3000 times
2011 2LT RS- CAI Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, VMax Ice-Olator, RX Plenum Spacer, VMax TB, RX catch can, Technostalgia taillights, AAC side markers, Heritage grille, DRL Harness, P13 Fog Light Bulbs, Back up camera in rear view, Continental Extreme DWS Tires
Running 13s
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:33 am
@MAC-7, i think what happens with the aftermarket leds is that the cars computer thinks there is low power going to the bulb because the leds draw less so it thinks you have a burned out bulb. check with others what needs to be wired in (capacitor - resistor) not sure which it is that's why i have a shop do my electrical and wiring. i hope this helps!
ohio-speed.com is your #1 place for high performance parts & show car accessories
Laying rubber
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:00 am
OHIO-SPEED wrote:@MAC-7, i think what happens with the aftermarket leds is that the cars computer thinks there is low power going to the bulb because the leds draw less so it thinks you have a burned out bulb.

This is exactly right. You need to wire resistor in parallel with each turn signal circuit to fool the computer into thinking the regular incandescent bulbs are still back there.

This link is just for info, not advertising...you can get these resistors ANYWHERE:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/pdfs/loa ... r_info.pdf

I'm a little surprised they don't include resistors and instructions with the tail lights.
2011 IOM 1LT M6
BBK CAI
Solo Mach X-LLT Catback
VMax CNC Throttle Body
VMax Intake Black Ice isolator
Eibach Pro Springs/Sway Bars
Stock SS Midnight Silver 20s w/PZeros
G2 caliper paint
Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:57 am
yup, computer is seeing different than factory signals. Maybe call the company and ask them for a resistor, maybe the kit is suppose to have them?
Hi my name is Travis and I have an addiction, an addiction to anything and everything dealing with v6 camaros. :wave:

****T.O.P. SNIPER****
BowtieV6 Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:55 pm
OHIO-SPEED wrote:@MAC-7, i think what happens with the aftermarket leds is that the cars computer thinks there is low power going to the bulb because the leds draw less so it thinks you have a burned out bulb. check with others what needs to be wired in (capacitor - resistor) not sure which it is that's why i have a shop do my electrical and wiring. i hope this helps!

:x2: You'll need to splice in a resistor to each light to fool the computer. See TankMorph's reply.
Sold :(
Running 13s
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:06 pm
wow i was right, every once in a while a blind squirrel finds a nut! lol. i know don't push it BUT i also think it depends on the brand (whoever is putting these together) if your going to have problems. i didn't with mine. it was brought to my attention when i bought the sequential wiring harness that i might have to do this (resitor).
ohio-speed.com is your #1 place for high performance parts & show car accessories
BowtieV6 Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:09 pm
OHIO-SPEED wrote:wow i was right, every once in a while a blind squirrel finds a nut! lol. i know don't push it BUT i also think it depends on the brand (whoever is putting these together) if your going to have problems. i didn't with mine. it was brought to my attention when i bought the sequential wiring harness that i might have to do this (resitor).

LoL good guess i suppose. :) Its pretty common now-a-days, especially when working with LED's. Since they draw such little current and voltage, you almost always have to trick the computer with a resistor. I have to do it all the time with certain supervisory alarms/lights on the ships when there is no alarm signal present in certain alarm modules.

Some companies even used resistors as "performance chips" for cars, to trick the computer and claim HUGE horsepower gains.. Terrible idea, if you ask me. But good enough when working with LED's.
Sold :(
Laying rubber
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:44 pm
I have the technostalgia tail lights. They should have came with resistors. Mind taking a picture of how you have everything connected?

Gearhead
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:26 pm
Just ran into this thread and I've never had an error message with my LEDs from Technostalgia and I've had them since they first hit the market. I've been very happy with them.

Return to Wiring & Electronics