New wheels, need new tires.

Anything to do with wheels, tires and TPMS

Moderator: Demon Hunter

Gearhead
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:33 am
Hey guys,

Getting ready to mount up some new summer shoes for my camaro in the coming weeks (probably mid-late march, early april)

Wheels I have are 20x9 (front) and 20x10 (rear) TSW Nurburgrings. No tires yet though...I'm pretty much decided on brand\model of tire (Nitto INVO), but still trying to decide size.

I'm thinking 245/45ZR20 or 255/45ZR20 for the front (leaning towards the 245's, IMO the 255's will be too tall), and for the rear I'm thinking 275/40ZR20. That rear size is pretty damn close to OEM OD (0.18% taller, about 1.25mm). Fronts are a close match too, at the 245 size...

Other option is to go really wide...
315/35zr20 rear, 275/40zr20 front..

I'm not terribly worried about the pricing differences...my brother is more or less helping me out (half brother, his job is wholesale\warehousing\delivering tires to retailers). Just concerned that the smaller tire size mentioned is too small, and the larger tire size mentioned is too large...can we fit 315's safely in the rear? i've seen wheel\tirepackages offered for the Camaro, with the same offset\size as the wheels I have with 315's mounted on the rears...i'd just rather not have to do any cutting\trimming\etc to make whatever I get work. I would assume since someone sells a package like this it's been tested to fit, but I wouldn't be certain enough to bet cash on it.

Any suggestions\help would be greatly appreciated...i've been up all night looking at tire sizes\prices\related numbers, etc (7:32am now, about to get to bed)...so forgive me if I rambled\didn't make sense at any point. Thanks guys!
2010 Camaro LS - Black w/ CGM Rally Stripes
Injen CAI - MRT v2.0
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:57 am
Well you’re in luck. I have been researching wheel/tire packages for the past 6 months. I don't plan to act on this urge for another two years thou. Want to use up my stock set before I invest into new ones.

The wheels you are looking at are near the top of my list too. Those look great and weigh less than stock. All good things. The tires I would look at for the front would be 275/40/20 and for the rear I would look at the 305/35/20. They will be a touch shorter in the rear than stock but certainly will work. Or you can go to 315/35/20. And yes these will fit too. You may need to check the rears and tie back some lines (sip tie) them out of the way.

Other option is put 27540/20's in all four corners. Then you can rotate them too. I am torn between the two set-ups at the moment. I like the width of the 305's/315's and how they look in the rear. But I have two years to wrestle with my decision.

Hope this helps. Please post up whatever you decide so we can all enjoy your RIDE.

this thread should help with tires sizes.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=349
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT

Gearhead
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:50 am
Thanks for the reply\advice. I considered 305's but the OD difference between these and the 275/40's bothers me a bit. The 315's, while seeming a bit on the wide side, just seemed to pair up better with the 275s....

I may look back into the 305's though. Also considered the same thing as you mentioned, 275's all around, but for some reason the idea of having the same width tire front\back, with different wheel widths bothered me lol (front tires will "look" wider than rear due to presence of bulge, where the rear has none). I most likely will be just going for the 315's rear and 275 fronts though. Relocating a few lines won't be an issue...I had to relocate all my rear brake lines on my silverado 2500 because of how close my 4" dual turbo-back exhaust came to them near the frame rails (was concerned about the stupid-hot exhaust heating up the brakefluid and causing failure more than rubbing).

I've seen the Nittos retail around $298\apiece at the 315/35-20, $259\apiece for the 275/40-20, and $219/apiece for the 245/45-20...so here's to hoping that either they last, or my brother's generosity does.
Still gonna be using my 18" steelies in the uglier months of the year though.

One last question, too...what's a quality wheel wax for painted wheels? Friend of mine swears by the Eagle One wheel protector\cleaner, but his wheels are bare aluminum and rarely look cleaned (he considers a good rain to be suitable washing).
As soon as I get my new tires M+Bed, installed, calipers painted, and get my first full spring detailing outta the way (likely all same weekend), I'll finally take the first pics of my baby and load them up here. Only pic I have of her so far is of the day I brought her home...and she was dirty then (about 15" of snow that week).

Thanks again!
Injen CAI - MRT v2.0
Running 13s
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:28 am
@esfkotaro, my reason for going to 20's all around from 18's was to fill up the gap in the wheel well. are you or did you have your car lowered? something to consider. i had read where someone had there car lowered to fill the gap but got a smaller profile tire and he still had the gap in the wheel well.
ohio-speed.com is your #1 place for high performance parts & show car accessories
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:52 am
OHIO-SPEED wrote:@esfkotaro, my reason for going to 20's all around from 18's was to fill up the gap in the wheel well. are you or did you have your car lowered? something to consider. i had read where someone had there car lowered to fill the gap but got a smaller profile tire and he still had the gap in the wheel well.

True statement. If you lower your Camaro 1 inch then drop the overall tire diameter by 2 inches you in effect have left the same gap.

I wanted to close up the gap. I plan to stay with the same or very close to the stock tire diameter of 28.6"
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:11 am
esfkotaro wrote:Thanks for the reply\advice. I considered 305's but the OD difference between these and the 275/40's bothers me a bit. The 315's, while seeming a bit on the wide side, just seemed to pair up better with the 275s....

I may look back into the 305's though. Also considered the same thing as you mentioned, 275's all around, but for some reason the idea of having the same width tire front\back, with different wheel widths bothered me lol (front tires will "look" wider than rear due to presence of bulge, where the rear has none). I most likely will be just going for the 315's rear and 275 fronts though. Relocating a few lines won't be an issue...I had to relocate all my rear brake lines on my silverado 2500 because of how close my 4" dual turbo-back exhaust came to them near the frame rails (was concerned about the stupid-hot exhaust heating up the brakefluid and causing failure more than rubbing).

I've seen the Nittos retail around $298\apiece at the 315/35-20, $259\apiece for the 275/40-20, and $219/apiece for the 245/45-20...so here's to hoping that either they last, or my brother's generosity does.
Still gonna be using my 18" steelies in the uglier months of the year though.

One last question, too...what's a quality wheel wax for painted wheels? Friend of mine swears by the Eagle One wheel protector\cleaner, but his wheels are bare aluminum and rarely look cleaned (he considers a good rain to be suitable washing).
As soon as I get my new tires M+Bed, installed, calipers painted, and get my first full spring detailing outta the way (likely all same weekend), I'll finally take the first pics of my baby and load them up here. Only pic I have of her so far is of the day I brought her home...and she was dirty then (about 15" of snow that week).

Thanks again!

OK, let me try and answer each comment in order.

1. The tire diameter difference between 275/40/20 and 305/35/20 is only .25” Nothing to worry about IMO.

2. I certainly like the idea of 315/35/20. Just need to make sure you can find these tires. Not all combinations are made.

3. If you go with 275/40/20 in all 4 corners you get 20 x 9 wheels for all 4 corners.

4. Nitto’s will last but no wear near as long as some of the others on the market. Check Tirerack.com I am looking at the Continental Extreme Contact DWS (Ultra High Performance All – Season) 315/35/20 Have a tire rating life of 540 cost is $242.00 each. (matter of fact I think I just found my tire combo. Hope these are still around and at that cost in two years)

5. Good idea keeping the 18”s mount some snow tires for the garbage weather.

6. I have used whatever wax I had left over from all my different types of wax. I use one kind for my Camaro and will be trying some Adam’s stuff soon. But for the wheels just using up older stuff.

7. Please do post those photos as soon as you can. I will want to see how she is looking.

Thanks and your welcome too.

Gearhead
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:40 pm
Thanks rtcat

ohiospeed, I am dropping her asap. possibly at same time as wheel install, if I can get the OT I was promised recently.
Injen CAI - MRT v2.0
Running 13s
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:30 pm
I just got my TSW's in this past week. Currently my rear tires have a lot of tread on them so I'm going to just move those tires over. However my front ones are really bald and I've been waiting on these wheels before I get tires. I plan on getting 255/35ZR -20 Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 XL these are the same tires that Beauwulf is running and he said they are performing better than the P-Zero's and since they are cheap this is awesome. I'll post pictures whenever I get all of this done.

Gearhead
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:32 am
Nice baylor, which color did you go with? My brother can't seem to get his hands on the nittos I wanted (they don't usually deal in that kind of tire, woulda been special order) so Im going to be going with Pirellis for now (he can get them stupid cheap for me right now), and next time he suggested the Ventus V12 EVOs. Said they're the best tire for the money in the category, really. And my brother more or less eats, sleeps and breathes tires...lol. Should have my tires mounted\balanced\installed this weekend or the next. Getting a bit antsy.
Injen CAI - MRT v2.0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:20 am
esfkotaro wrote:Nice baylor, which color did you go with? My brother can't seem to get his hands on the nittos I wanted (they don't usually deal in that kind of tire, woulda been special order) so Im going to be going with Pirellis for now (he can get them stupid cheap for me right now), and next time he suggested the Ventus V12 EVOs. Said they're the best tire for the money in the category, really. And my brother more or less eats, sleeps and breathes tires...lol. Should have my tires mounted\balanced\installed this weekend or the next. Getting a bit antsy.

Awesome, get some good photos and post those up so we can all enjoy your new shoes........ :thumbsup:
Next

Return to Wheels and Tires