Too much toe or bump steer after mods?

Springs, Sway Bars, Shocks, Brakes, Etc

Just having fun
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:24 pm
Okay, what gives? I recently installed new BMR trailing arms and poly bushings and I did not notice any rear end side to side movement when one of the rear wheels hits a dip, rut, or reflector, going strait any more than when it was stock. Now I installed the BMR toe links with poly bushings and its down right scary in the rain this weekend on the highway going strait and the rear wheels hitting any imperfection on the road serface. My RS jerks from side to side and felt like it was slideing on the wet highway . Do I need to get another rear wheel alignment again after I lowered it and put the sway bars on and then did these two extr mods? I called BMR about the rear trailing arms and they said I did not have to get the car aligned again. Its so unerving now I hate the way my RS pitches side to side.I checked for any thing loose and all seems okay. Im sure people in the rear following can even see it as I have to correct it with the front wheel. I put up with rear toe steer on my 1981 Corvette for 15 years and I never totally eliminated it. But this new RS is way worse. Now I know my rear tires have 20,000+ mi on them now and are just near the inner wear lines, But I don't think its that. It tracts dead strait on a smooth surface. Is it maybe the craddel bushings now doing it cause the poly bushings are stiffer on the above mentioned BMR toe links and trailing arms? Am I going to now have to get the street version craddel poly busings to eliminate the pitching back and forth? I heard on this forum some where that the RS with the 20inch wheels does it the worse? I was just also wondering if maybe I just need a good wheel alignment done after the trailing arm and toe link installation I just did a couple of weeks ago? If I have to put the old stuff back on I will. I did pretty much eliminate the wheel hop, but ill trade it back for a better tracking Camaro. Im very happy with the Ebiach springs and sway bars. But I think maybe Im going in the wrong direction for a street driveing RS? Any suggestions would help. Thanks. :shrug:
2012 yellow and black Convertable SS Camaro,2SS,RS, 6PD manual ,got my killer bee , now the mods start all over again.
2013 Yamaha STRYKER
2007 Yamaha Roadliner S,"113" cu. inches,F/S

Just having fun
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:48 pm
Well I called BMR today and it pretty much sounds like I need a GOOD four wheel alignment. But Im not taking it back to the dealer.Im going with a high performance shop here in town by the end of the week. Ill report back if it does the trick. :roll:
2012 yellow and black Convertable SS Camaro,2SS,RS, 6PD manual ,got my killer bee , now the mods start all over again.
2013 Yamaha STRYKER
BowtieV6 Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:29 am
Yeah i was going to suggest a 4 wheel alignment. I have been experiencing something similiar in my wifes car after i put 4 new tires on and had an alignment done. The alignment seems waaay off so i need to get it back in for an adjustment. Hopefully that takes care of your issue. Speaking of Corvette, i might be picking up my dads supercharged 2006 C6. Seems he's going to pick up an 09 Z06 with 1200 miles for a steal of a price. :)
Sold :(

Just having fun
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:43 pm
It won't be for another week or so before I can get it done. By the way. I was in my work van the other day driveing behind a yellow RS and I notice when he was hitting some of the rough roads the rear wheels were doing the same thing my RS was doing. I can plainely see the rear shifting side to side. Guess Ill have to see in a week. Ill report back. I did not get a Camaro with a V8 because I also ride a sport bike. I can rip off 10sec quarters all day and get 50MPG on a easy cruise at will,LOL. So my V6 RS does me just fine!
2013 Yamaha STRYKER

Just having fun
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:38 pm
SDCamaro10 wrote:Yeah i was going to suggest a 4 wheel alignment. I have been experiencing something similiar in my wifes car after i put 4 new tires on and had an alignment done. The alignment seems waaay off so i need to get it back in for an adjustment. Hopefully that takes care of your issue. Speaking of Corvette, i might be picking up my dads supercharged 2006 C6. Seems he's going to pick up an 09 Z06 with 1200 miles for a steal of a price. :)

Well I finnaly had a GOOD four wheel alignment done by a shop that took the time to index my bushings and took the time to understand what I was experiencing driving the car. They even said that most new cars that come in there have the elignment off? I picked it up the next day and they told me every thing was way off. It was raining and I could not really travel that fast on the way home. Then a few days later I took my babby out and hit certian dips and bumps in the roads I usually travel and BINGO!. That solved the problem. Of course they also mentioned my rear tires would work even better on the street if they were new as the originals are now at the wear blocks,LOL. I also looked under neath where I had marked the cam adjusters and boy the toe adjusters in the rear were WAY off from what I had them on. Changing out the trailing arm and toe rod ends with the BMR heavy duty ones with poly bushings will need a new alignment for sure. Now I have to figure out what tires Im going with this time around. Im happy again. :woot:
2013 Yamaha STRYKER
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:44 pm
Glad to hear the problem is solved.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT

Just having fun
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:30 pm
Thanks, That is all im going to do on the syspension mods, the camaro handels just fine for the street with what I have on it for me.Now I just have to get my LT headers and Trifecta tune done. Next year ill work on the wider rims and tires . :roll:
2013 Yamaha STRYKER
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:43 pm
Sounds like you have a good laid out plan. I reconize that plan. I too went that route.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT

Return to Suspension