FE3 Suspension Swap

Springs, Sway Bars, Shocks, Brakes, Etc
Running 11s
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:54 pm
gahammerle wrote:I heard that about the springs too, but then another vendor said it wasn't an issue. I am not sure what to think. I got a set of SS struts and installed them along with Pfadt springs. The Pfadt springs are advertised as 1.25" drop and my car dropped 1.75". That leads me to believe the SS struts are 1/2" shorter than the V6 struts, but I didn't measure to confirm. If the SS struts are in fact shorter, then I can see why SS drop springs would have problems on the V6 struts.

Although I like how the car looks now, I can't get my jack under it :D and since it is a daily driver including in snow, I'm thinking of getting the stock SS springs and putting them on to get some height back.

As to the issues of the FE2 to FE3 swap, there won't be any issues with either the stock SS/FE3 springs or SS drop springs since you will be using the SS struts.

I also don't want to bring up a "Dead" thread so to speak but I'm still thinking of changing my setup and going with the SS F3 instead of my stock struts and Pfadt springs.
I love the look but getting tired of the "Bam" effect in the front when I hit raised areas in the highways. It's hard to slow down every time or even see it coming when your going 55&65 etc. Now on a every day kind of road .. no problems at at . Yes its firmer but no bottoming out feeling. Now I did put the SS Pfadt coils on my V6 struts and even asked them if that could be the issue.
I have called Pfadt many times , posted on C5 and still no solutions . All I get is.. did you cut the bump stops ? Yes.. did you install them correctly.. again Yes.. did you get a alignment ? Yes
Went down to the beach area Saturday night with the wife and it happened twice just on the way down . If I can't enjoy the car with a decent ride then the lowered look must go .
The sad thing is I think the SS cars ride just as ruff as my Pfadt setup just no hard hits and not as low.
So I'm still debating on what to do or try before tearing the front apart again . Kinda wish I had bought the Pedders coils with a 1" drop but these were a pretty good deal so...
TEAM LLT
Gearhead
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:35 pm
I was leaning towards the Pedders 1" springs too, and was a little nervous about the 1.25" Pfadt springs, but I got a great deal. I've gotten used to the ride now, but am waiting to see how it does in the snow. I most likely will go to coilovers at some point so I can raise it up in the winter and drop it back down the rest of the year.
Gordy

Injen CAI / VMax TB / SOLO Hi-flow res-cats & Mach X-LLT / Pedders Street I / SS Struts / Pfadt drop springs / Spohn Toe Rods & Trailing Arms

Black bow ties & trunk panel / Fogs / Footwell lighting front & rear / 35% Tint
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:04 pm
Marvin, sorry to hear about the stiff than normal ride, but I do know what you mean. I hit a few of those every now and then. Jars you for a moment. I just right it off, because I want the lowered look and better handling. Sacrifice for the good of the whole.

That said I think gahammerle said it best, time for COILOVERS. This way you have ride and lowered effect. Problem is these will cost you some $$.

Good Luck with your decision and keep us informed on what you do.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Running 11s
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:01 pm
There is a "Group" buy over on C5 for Pfadt Coilovers ... Just way out of my price range . I love the look and 95% of the ride . Its just that other 5% will make you think your in a ricer . I hate a car that bottoms out .. What funny is it's Never the rear just the front and they both go over the same bump!

Regular retail pricing on the Camaro coilovers is 2490.00.
With at least 5 people before 9/30/11 we can offer these for the great price of 2000.00
With at least 10 people before 9/30/11 we can offer these SMOKING price of 1900.00!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthrea ... =group+buy
TEAM LLT
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:26 am
Even with the group buy that is still out side my price range. With the kind of $$ I can almost get my wheels and tires.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Gearhead
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:30 am
Yeah those Pfadt coilovers are expensive. I'm leaning towards BC Racing. I've seen them as low as $900, and rumor has it that they are the same as Pedders (just a different color). People with them seem to be pleased with them. I haven't read of any complaints.
Gordy

Injen CAI / VMax TB / SOLO Hi-flow res-cats & Mach X-LLT / Pedders Street I / SS Struts / Pfadt drop springs / Spohn Toe Rods & Trailing Arms

Black bow ties & trunk panel / Fogs / Footwell lighting front & rear / 35% Tint
Running 11s
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:45 am
Keep us posted on what you find out on the BC products . Still can't afford to spend that much bit would like to know if there the same .
TEAM LLT
Mini-Post Whore
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:04 pm
So, I'm getting my hands on a set of FE3 springs, does anyone have any before and after pics of these installed?
Mini-Post Whore
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:05 pm
Really??? Nobody???
Running 11s
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:15 pm
I had 1 person on c5 send me a pic after his installed . Wasn't a good pic and I got tired of asking . The best way to do the swap is do a complete SS strut and springs. You'll get another 1/2 inch I have been told over the v6 struts and SS springs .. plus the dampening is right on .
TEAM LLT
PreviousNext

Return to Suspension