FE3 Suspension Swap

Springs, Sway Bars, Shocks, Brakes, Etc
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:43 pm
Ok, I've been dying to ask this question on the C5 forum, but I think it's better suited for this community. I'm looking to do an FE3 suspension swap. I know there are several out there who have done it. I'm specifically looking for late 2011 SS springs and sways. From my understanding, the FE3 suspension is a little tighter sporting thicker sways and slightly lower riding springs. Why FE3? I do not want to lower my car more than an inch, max. Just looking for a tighter feel. I think the combination of the SS springs and sways will be perfect for me. Just looking for opinions on those who have done the swap. Please chime in and let me know how you like it. Get specific if you can; feel, ride height, ride quality, etc. My ultimate goal is somewhat of a factory V6 Sport Tourer :thumbsup:
1LT/RS
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:13 am
I did a full SS suspension swap it it feels much tighter now. Its not a drastic change but the can is much more predictable than it was. It also dropped about a half inch in the front and rear. The ride is a little rougher but nothing to complain about. I'm also looking into swapping out the FE3 for the FE4 when it comes out. You might want to wait, or if your on a budget go for the FE3 swap. I would however grab a set of the pedders subframe busing inserts. They'll be a GMPP part soon as well.
AAC LED Fog Lamps, Heritage Grille, RS Embroidered Headrests, Door Sill Plates, Premium Floor Mats, Body Color Engine Cover, 3M Clear Bra. Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, Brembo Brakes, SS Suspension, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:21 am
nak3dsnake wrote:I did a full SS suspension swap it it feels much tighter now. Its not a drastic change but the can is much more predictable than it was. It also dropped about a half inch in the front and rear. The ride is a little rougher but nothing to complain about. I'm also looking into swapping out the FE3 for the FE4 when it comes out. You might want to wait, or if your on a budget go for the FE3 swap. I would however grab a set of the pedders subframe busing inserts. They'll be a GMPP part soon as well.

That is good to know. I could see making this mod change if it is not to expensive to do.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
Gearhead
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:55 pm
The ride height of the SS is exactly where I'd like to be, and hopefully not ride much stiffer....so call me also interested in an FE3 conversion.
5th gen owner since 8/2009!Image

Laying rubber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:01 pm
My Hotchkis springs and sways are great. The ride is good and compliant and it corners as if on rails. I would do my setup before settling for a slightly upgraded factory setup that doesnt handle as well, unless $ are a concern, if its cheaper(?)
2LTRS/ black/sliver stripes/A6/Injen long tube&IAT relocate/D/T shortie headers/Magnaflow resonated X pipe/Resonators delete/ MRT V2 Axelback/Hotchkis sport springs and Sways/Stillen splitter/ Heritage,Stillen grills,ducts/VMax Throttle Body
Mini-Post Whore
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:35 pm
Not to bing up a dead thread or anything, but what exactly is an FE3 swap. This has me intrigued...
Gearhead
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:19 pm
FE3 refers to the SS suspension. V6 has FE2. An FE3 swap takes the SS struts, springs, and sway bars, and puts them onto the V6.
Gordy

Injen CAI / VMax TB / SOLO Hi-flow res-cats & Mach X-LLT / Pedders Street I / SS Struts / Pfadt drop springs / Spohn Toe Rods & Trailing Arms

Black bow ties & trunk panel / Fogs / Footwell lighting front & rear / 35% Tint
Mini-Post Whore
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:44 pm
gahammerle wrote:FE3 refers to the SS suspension. V6 has FE2. An FE3 swap takes the SS struts, springs, and sway bars, and puts them onto the V6.

Ah... got yah. Isn't there issues with that though. I've heard of suspension companies like pedders and BMR warning not to use their SS springs on a V6.
Gearhead
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:41 pm
I heard that about the springs too, but then another vendor said it wasn't an issue. I am not sure what to think. I got a set of SS struts and installed them along with Pfadt springs. The Pfadt springs are advertised as 1.25" drop and my car dropped 1.75". That leads me to believe the SS struts are 1/2" shorter than the V6 struts, but I didn't measure to confirm. If the SS struts are in fact shorter, then I can see why SS drop springs would have problems on the V6 struts.

Although I like how the car looks now, I can't get my jack under it :D and since it is a daily driver including in snow, I'm thinking of getting the stock SS springs and putting them on to get some height back.

As to the issues of the FE2 to FE3 swap, there won't be any issues with either the stock SS/FE3 springs or SS drop springs since you will be using the SS struts.
Gordy

Injen CAI / VMax TB / SOLO Hi-flow res-cats & Mach X-LLT / Pedders Street I / SS Struts / Pfadt drop springs / Spohn Toe Rods & Trailing Arms

Black bow ties & trunk panel / Fogs / Footwell lighting front & rear / 35% Tint
Mini-Post Whore
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:20 pm
Got it. Thanks for the info.
Next

Return to Suspension