LLT in sandrail wanting boost

Superchargers, Turbochargers, Intercoolers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:17 pm
Hi i'm new to this forum and trying to learn more about boosting these motors. I run an LLT in a sand car with a haltech engine management system. I'm wondering how much boost these motors can take in stock form and what fuel needs to be run. When are you switching to race gas or what boost levels are considered safe on pump gas (91 octane). Also are you increasing the injector sizes or leaving stock injectors. I am thinking about running a HX35 or HE351 single turbo intercooled and maybe around 7 to 8 lbs of boost. Trying to learn as much as i can about these motors and hoping to hear from people that have been experimenting with boosting these motors. Any help is appreciated.
Full Blown Post Whoring Vet
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:18 am
Hello and welcome to the bowtieV6.com site. The LLT lowerr end is pretty stout. The problem is not so much the engine as it is tuning it for the fuel and boost. The LLT computer in the Camaro is not a very friendly tuning set-up. The one in the LFX is much easier for people to tune. Now that all said, people have been able to obtain 5- 7 lbs. of boost. Getting over 350-400 RWHP. All on pump fuel in the 91-93 octane rating. Hopefully you will be able to find a tuner and make it all work nice for your sandrail. Keep us posted on the project.
for my build check here...http://bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=57 ..........................................................TEAM LLT
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:59 am
I have a twin turbo 2010 LLT. I run 10 psi boost on 93 octane pump gas. Car has 33,000 miles of trouble free driving and no problems to date. rtcat600man is correct in that the Bosch ECM is a tough unit to program. Vince at Trifecta did my programming and it has been a great tune to date. He knows these ECM's pretty well and I consider him the best, although there are a few others out there. But apparently, you are running a Haltech stand alone, so you should not have any tuning issue. Injectors remain the same, no change. You should not have any problems based on your projected specifications.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:10 pm
Appreciate the input thus far. As for a single turbo size, does anyone have a good recomendation? Want something with a pretty quick spool up but that can still support around 400hp. Im working on a budget and already have an intercooler so trying to find a stock turbo that would work from a production vehicle. That's why i was thinking a Holset HX35. Also what about throttle bodies? Haven't seen many talk about upgrading theirs or is stock ok. I have seen another rail with a turbo LY7 and he said he used a stock LS3 throttle body to flow more.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:42 am
For what you are doing, stock throttle body is fine. To my knowledge, there is only one other throttle body available that is a stock unit with a modified machining pattern in the inlet that swirls the air, thus adding a little. But only a small amount. For you application, stock should do fine. Never heard of using an LS# body, very interesting. As far as turbo's are concerned, if you are on a budget, I could not make a recommendation. You will simply have to do more research on that. If money was not an issue, the very best turbo, in my opinion, is the Borg Warner EFR series. Amazing spool up. The most advanced and that is what I use on my twin turbo Camaro.

Return to Forced Induction